Alpha Progress Update

Seth

I think the blind optimism is inspiring, really. Even now, with all this talk about developmental issues out in the open there remains dozens of dedicated players who hope for the best. You've got something good here. Truly. 

The people who leave butthurt comments in the chatbox complaining about progress will come and go - that's fine. Just never forget that there are tons of us supporting you guys and appreciating the work you're doing. Obviously our moral cheer-leading can't write code or make sprites, but I think hosting the game (at least temporarily) will restore a great deal of ambition to the staff. Hell, you could throw up the bare-boned pre alpha v.0003 and do bi-monthy minor patches and people would be absolutely ecstatic.

I'm not saying lower your standards, just try to win one battle at a time. Dealing with lackadaisical staffers and impatience from the community at the same time will drive you insane. Put something out temporarily, get the community off your back, and take a deep breath.

(The game being online and active couldn't hurt staff recruiting, either.)

• Like 4

It does help, we know it sucks that it is taking this long to make the game, but all we can do is keep pushing forward. As long as the team doesn't give up, we will have a wonderful game eventually. I always say, Rome wasn't built in a day neither will Nin Online. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The alpha was postponed, we are going to shift to an open Early Access model where people who have Early Access can play as we develop it. Once we launch Open Alpha 3, the game will be available to all. We are hoping to get the game completed enough for Early Access soon. There will be an announcement on the site when we launch the new model, and then we will enable people to buy Gold Member again. Earning Early Access can be done really easily, until we shift to beta then it will not be. When we shift to beta, Early Access will be a rank for selected testers instead of people who are early testers.

• Twitter login.
  • Fullscreen.
  • Misc. systems and bug fixes.

These are our three major changes we need to be done before we release it early. Content is not complete, we will not have quests or anything like that in alpha. We are going to focus instead on replay value such as events, PvP, and arena (dueling). We had basic quests and dialogue for testing, but none of that was real content we were going to keep. The characters we had will be released in beta, but the dialogues were all placeholder.

There are many more systems we need done before Open Alpha 3.

• Server selection.
  • Server cluster.
  • Queues.

Why exactly are we putting so much effort into this alpha? It is the last one we are doing with this engine, and we need to make it count to raise awareness for the game. We need to move to a more suitable engine, which this alpha will last quite awhile and will be developed like a released game. We were not ready last alpha to move since @Rory left, now we can continue to release updates as the alpha is open.

We are going to heavily advertise this alpha, this is why the Open Alpha 3 will have so much server focus. There will be support for thousands of players. The more people that play and support the game, the more updates it will get since we will funnel the funding into the game's content.

• Like 8

Like the last Alpha there were so many people logging in and the server was creating alot of lag, and for a fact I know that over 100 players easily will be logging in on the server now so is the engine strong enough to play the game without any lag?

Like the last Alpha there were so many people logging in and the server was creating alot of lag, and for a fact I know that over 100 players easily will be logging in on the server now so is the engine strong enough to play the game without any lag?

We've added in map cache into the client to reduce FPS lag, it is still being worked on. There also has been many optimizations, we will be adding a cluster server technology to utilize multiple servers to share resources.

• Like 1