Bullying in Nin

Robin

Bullying

Bullying is something that everyone has had to deal with at one point or another. It's a disgusting, brutal thing which can absolutely destroy a person. Systematic bullying is a huge problem in real life, and whether this occurs at home, at school or at work it can be just as damaging.

In all of its forms bullying is completely unacceptable. Schools and places of work have rules in place to combat bullying, and these are backed up by legislation (at least in the UK). I'm afraid I can't really help with real-life bullying other than offering advice or simply listening to what you have to say. If you need someone to talk to, please get in touch. Sometimes it helps to just have someone understand what you're going through.

If you want more information or help then there are some great sites which you can visit, such as bullying.co.uk.

Internet Bullying

Also known as 'Cyberbullying' or 'Online Bullying' this is a relatively new concept which has been making headlines. The internet offers a completely anonymous playground where people can act however they want. Naturally, this leads to a lot of situations where bullying takes place.

Wikipedia -

Examples of what constitutes cyberbullying include communications that seek to intimidate, control, manipulate, put down, falsely discredit, or humiliate the recipient. The actions are deliberate, repeated, and hostile behavior intended to harm another. Cyberbullying has been defined by The National Crime Prevention Council: “When the Internet, cell phones or other devices are used to send or post text or images intended to hurt or embarrass another person."

When people talk about cyber bullying they generally refer to people you know in real life using internet technology to carry existing bullying through in to a new medium. This isn't always true, however.

Bullying in Nin

I've seen the effects of bullying first-hand. Hell, if I look back to when I was a teenager I can see myself bullying people both in real life and on the internet. Sometimes the people doing the bullying don't realise what they're doing is genuinely effecting someone, and from a lot of the ex-bullies I've talked to many of them were bullied themselves.

This kind of behaviour is simply not acceptable. Nin's (specifically #5, #6 and #12) explicitly state that we will follow standard disciplinary practices if we find any evidence of bullying in this community. Anything you post on this forum, regardless of whether it's through a PM, through a status message or forum post must abide by these rules.

This is something which everyone must follow. Your position in the community does not put you above these guidelines. Veteran members especially must make sure they set a good example for people coming in to this community. If we feel that your behaviour is having a negative impact on the image of this community or game then you will have your posting privileges revoked, and in extreme circumstances your account banned.

Please, please think very carefully about if what you're saying to someone could be seen as bullying. Your words carry weight, and you must wield them responsibly.

You can report bullying through the standard report systems. If you feel like you're being bullied by a member of staff and don't feel comfortable talking to them about it please get someone else involved. Everyone in the team is accountable for their actions, and these actions will be scrutinised by the rest of the team if something like this occurs.

Together we can keep this forum going strong.

Thanks,

Robin

• Like 7

Bullying is bad but I mean there's some bullying where their just having a laugh,and the person getting bully is having fun too.... (pranks, trash talk among friends)

But, besides that Robin nailed it....

She put a one day lecture in too 3 paragraphs..

For people who didn't read it I will sum it for you before you try to rack up another post..

("Bullying is wrong, Bully's are bad..)

With this topic I would like to add on that if the bullying issue is minor they can always use the Block/Ignore feature.

Ignoring doesn't solve your problems, it just allows you to run away from them. I'd suggest that one should just take their issue(s) up with an admin.

If bullying goes too far, theres also the option of clicking the red "x" button on the top right side of the browser

I couldn't have said it better. Although cyber bullying is bad, people have the option to leave the situation. 

• Like 1

Cyber bullying should have be a zero tolerance matter.  Even if you chose to just "ignore" him, that won't stop him from degrading the staff and other community members. Plus, if you have time to sit on here and harass the staff and other members in the first place, you need to reevaluate your social life. lol.

don't ever walk away. fastest way to get your ass kicked. the bully's gonna assume you think of him as a weak, beta male and kick you in the back.

best course of action is to look right through him and come up with some crazy shit outta nowhere. like... hold sharp things, spin your arms and stick them in your leg to show him you have no pain/ fear.

don't ever walk away. fastest way to get your ass kicked. the bully's gonna assume you think of him as a weak, beta male and kick you in the back.

best course of action is to look right through him and come up with some crazy shit outta nowhere. like... hold sharp things, spin your arms and stick them in your leg to show him you have no pain/ fear.

Don't listen to bubbles. You'll still get your a$$ handed to you and on top of that need weeks of therapy and tons of gauze. 

• Like 1

Its called walking away and ignore. The 'bully' gets intimidated and just backs off.

There is a report function for a reason. It literally takes 5 sec to make a damn report. A wise old man once said - Once a bully, always a bully. Would you let your playerbase drop out and leave the bullies just because you can 'ignore' them? If he bullied one, he would most likely do it again to a different dude, all for getting some attention. 

With this topic I would like to add on that if the bullying issue is minor they can always use the Block/Ignore feature.

And what happens to the person who was bullying you then? Do they get punished for their actions? Do they try and change their attitude?

Who knows how many more people that person has been bullying who did the exact same thing. By ignoring bullying you're letting it continue. I've seen the exact same attitude in other communities I've been an administrator on and I'm not going to let it happen here.

By reporting the bully to me you're giving me the opportunity to deal with a problem in the community which I might otherwise not know of.

I never said in all cases, Im just saying in some. Reasom why I quote bullies is because the word is being overtossed and some just think bullying is someone who just annoys you..

No, you've repeated the same sentiment before when I was specifically talking about misogynistic and abusive behaviour through the PM system. Your viewpoint is obviously that bullying is something you can ignore.

I highly suggest you read through the articles posted and perhaps do some of your own research. Systematic bullying, whilst not very widespread, is still a problem in this community, and ignoring it will do nothing but exacerbate the issue.

I find it ever so surprising that whenever a person gets himself banned, that he finds an excuse for being banned for ''no reason''. Whether someone is claiming to speak the truth or not, does not mean he can say it in the most disrespectful way. Sending a message is not the issue, it's about the way the message is sent. And if that contradicts to the rules, then it shouldn't be a surprise that you will be warned or banned because of it.

With that being said, I still see some people in this community that adresses people in a very disrespectful way (Not naming anyone). And the fact that it keeps happening so often, I believe that the staff should be dealing with this stricter. Couldn't this be solved by having active Forum-Moderators around here? Or at least asking the current staff to look more carefully and actively deal with this problem. It would be better if the staff strikes warnings if bad behavior/bullying is noted.

Anyway, another issue right now is that some people are viewing the situation with Zeke in a tunnel-vision perspective. So please try to gather some information before you bash onto false conclusions. The fact that we had to read accussations of the staff being: Power-Hungry, Abusive, Ruled by Oligarchy, is harming the reputation of this community. This can affect newcomers in a negative way. Neither the people nor the staff are looking forward to see this.

• Like 1