Nin Online in the near future

Ueda

I want Nin Online to be a 2D game. I don't think I'd ever have such wild ambitions to attempt a 3D MMORPG with no budget :/

Oh god it would be great to have a really low poly 3d characters running around a 2d environment :D but yeah I understand its a budget issue :(

I'm assuming the port to unity was scrapped.

The real question is, how long did it take to create this tiny demo? Ninonline has gone through several revisions over the years, and last year alone it went from VB6(Which I thought was a horrible idea, VB6 is not well suited for making games) to Unity for several months, and now HTML5. This requires that all the ideas for the game be re-coded into a different language.

My fear is that you guys have a lot of trouble making up your minds. Either not being able to stick with the original plan, or not doing enough research on what the best course of action is. When a new technology is decided to be used halfway through, most of that time previously spent goes to waste. I've been here for over 7 months and am now being told that the entire game's code has basically been reset and starting over from scratch again. It's completely understandable that you guys are a small team and things will take longer to complete, but please make up your damn minds. The only reason there aren't more people bringing up these concerns like me, is because the majority of your player base doesn't understand how ridiculous Ninonline's development has been. Whether it be because they don't understand the development process, or don't care and just want to play the game.

I wish only the best of luck to you guys, hopefully you can stick to the plan and some real progress can be made after 7 months.

• Like 6

I'm with Sipher on this one. I know very little about coding but quite a few projects I've been a part of in the past have succumb to coding indecision. I like the new feel of the demo and I'm hoping for the best with it. You guys are really on the verge of something incredible here, you just have to be sure to see it through.

• Like 1

Hey Sipher, I can rely on you to be a voice of reason here. You have a very valid concern. It's not fair to say we're completely restarting, or putting our work to waste. Because the old code is a clear a template for our new one, which will also speed up the development. We will also not be reworking the graphics all that much, or at all. This is basically a port to HTML5, and the benefits are pretty clear. I was stubborn about making the move earlier, because I simply wanted to work with the language I felt we would get the game released as fast as possible, I didn't think about the long term state of the game. Inevitably, VB6 will not even run on half the Windows PCs owned in a few years down the road. The demo took less than a day to do, which in a way is a good testimony to how fast production will be sped up with this move. Of course, the demo has no networking and mostly shows off the rendering and animations. But the amount of progress we can make with this new development process, is definitely many folds faster than with VB6. For example, it took 2 weeks to get a basic implementation of the GUI back in VB6. Work that could be completed in a day within Construct. I wouldn't make this move if it weren't a better option at this point.

I concur that html5 is a much better alternative to VB6. As I said before, I hope that things go well and smoothly from here on out. I'm in no way trying to demoralize you and your team or make you feel bad, but unfortunately there's no way to get the point across without causing that to happen even a little bit.

• Like 1

I'm assuming the port to unity was scrapped.

The real question is, how long did it take to create this tiny demo? Ninonline has gone through several revisions over the years, and last year alone it went from VB6(Which I thought was a horrible idea, VB6 is not well suited for making games) to Unity for several months, and now HTML5. This requires that all the ideas for the game be re-coded into a different language.

Unity would of taken us longer and was never officially announced. We just mentioned it was a possible plan that we were seeking to go with to address our current engine. We haven't changed focus at all about the game, we just found a better solution which is a very new technology. It isn't indecision at all.

I'd have to go on Sipher with this one and say that it's worrying having you guys change languages and engines like pairs of socks. 

We did research and understood, but when a new technology comes along that is more efficient to use do you keep going down the longer road? No.

Visual Basic 6 engine was never meant to use as the engine for release. It was for prototyping the game out. We only switched engines once so far in reality.