Nin Online in the near future

Ueda

We're commencing building a multiplayer stress test :) stay tuned.

Could I help with a test, I'm very good in things like development in games and stuff.  I mean I've also used your guys last engine Eclipse Origins and its very good too but it does limit you doesn't it XD but anyways I will stay tuned and good luck.

I've been meaning to reply to this but that is friggin awesome! It has honestly intrigued me to start again on my project. Big thanks for introducing construct 2 to me, Rory!

Lol is it me or I find some sarcastic-humor involved in this.

I'm assuming the port to unity was scrapped.

The real question is, how long did it take to create this tiny demo? Ninonline has gone through several revisions over the years, and last year alone it went from VB6(Which I thought was a horrible idea, VB6 is not well suited for making games) to Unity for several months, and now HTML5. This requires that all the ideas for the game be re-coded into a different language.

My fear is that you guys have a lot of trouble making up your minds. Either not being able to stick with the original plan, or not doing enough research on what the best course of action is. When a new technology is decided to be used halfway through, most of that time previously spent goes to waste. I've been here for over 7 months and am now being told that the entire game's code has basically been reset and starting over from scratch again. It's completely understandable that you guys are a small team and things will take longer to complete, but please make up your damn minds. The only reason there aren't more people bringing up these concerns like me, is because the majority of your player base doesn't understand how ridiculous Ninonline's development has been. Whether it be because they don't understand the development process, or don't care and just want to play the game.

I wish only the best of luck to you guys, hopefully you can stick to the plan and some real progress can be made after 7 months.

Spoken like a champ... This is why you never see these type of games release.  People always want to start over and never really produce anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello guys, liked to know if the game will be standalone or webgame? I was in doubt due to the project who posted v2 now. The demo is amazing and to see how it behaves, very well done! 

Your work is very grand and perfect, community support is very helpful and the relationship you have with the people here are very good.

Hello guys, liked to know if the game will be standalone or webgame? I was in doubt due to the project who posted v2 now. The demo is amazing and to see how it behaves, very well done! 

Your work is very grand and perfect, community support is very helpful and the relationship you have with the people here are very good.

The game is a standalone as the software was made by the owner of the game. I think the unity port idea has been scrapped, if not feel free to correct me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ports
The Unity port was scrapped. Project V2 was never started, we thought about it, but decided that it wasn't a good move for the game and starting over was too much work. Basically, the V2 demo was a quick prototype created in less than a week using a powerful engine that allows fast development.

Technologies

The new technologies (Unity & Construct 2) we looked at were too much work to port to, and we are better off making a custom engine from scratch if we ever want to move to the web. This all depends on how big the game gets, it is pointless to port if there is no community that cares about it and would ultimately be a waste of effort. Even though, this means the game will not be as good as it could be, if we keep starting over there will be no game to care about in the first place.

Conclusion

There's going to be a time when starting over will be good, but it just isn't the right time. This is due to the nature of the engine we are using and how much work it takes to get things working. If we ever hit the point that this engine is too much work to take care of, we will reconsider porting over to the web completely just like V2 displays, and we will of course make a way better tile engine with platforms, but with our current engine it will not happen.

We're sticking with our existing engine until further notice.

This topic has been closed. If you would like for it to be reopened please feel free to send a moderator a personal message with a reason.

• Like 1