Improve Ping

Seth

If you experience high ping, you should look into paying for a gaming VPN. These exist to eliminate the latency trips that your network ISP has to travel, by optimizing the network pathway.

The server we run is in Canada and if you aren't inside Canada, the pathway to it could be really bad. This is something we can't fix, which is why we will look in the future to provide an alternative server for EU region and US. It just is not something we can do with our budget, time, or resources at this time.

The only real solution is to pick a good VPN/proxy and use it for the time being.

These are the major ones that I have researched and used most of them. I use ExitLag personally.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

• Seth pinned this topic
3 minutes ago, Meth said:

Having to buy 3rd party programs shouldn't be a thing just to play a god damn 2D game...

I already explained why you need the service. A lot of people use VPNs to browse the web and game. The server is in Canada and ping cannot be improved by us. It can only be improved by the client.

You can use a VPN and just turn it on for the game, these VPNs are just specialized for gaming in general.

You need to pay to play with an improved ping, so the pingzapper is the only free option that improves the game's ping (creating accounts infinitely), but now comes the expected question,

The difference between exitlag and pingzapper is overwhelming as to have to pay?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nomady Hozuki said:

The difference between exitlag and pingzapper is overwhelming as to have to pay?

$5/m when I plan to use it for other games is not a big deal. NoPing and ExitLag were about the same. My ping was around 130-300 and now it is around 60-90. Both services worked good, ExitLag worked better and it had a better GUI. The other services I just researched them.

Using PingZapper infinitely like that is fine, but I don't want to create a ton of emails and such to have reduced ping. I was going to buy a real VPN, but I decided a gaming VPN tool was a better fit for my needs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seth said:

$5/m when I plan to use it for other games is not a big deal.

I agree. Personally I use noping for lots of games and not just nin. Granted, I started using it BECAUSE of nin, but it has proven useful as a general tool since I personally play a bunch of online games. 5 bucks a month is nothing tbh. That's what... 10 minutes from a minimum wage job?

25 minutes ago, Meth said:

Having to buy 3rd party programs shouldn't be a thing just to play a god damn 2D game...

I agree. As I said above though, I use it for a lot of stuff now. If the only online game you play is nin though... Well then that is kind of a bummer in many ways xD

23 minutes ago, Seth said:

I already explained why you need the service. A lot of people use VPNs to browse the web and game. The server is in Canada and ping cannot be improved by us. It can only be improved by the client.

You can use a VPN and just turn it on for the game, these VPNs are just specialized for gaming in general.

Just because you explained why doesn't seem acceptable to me for it to be a thing that most of us have to do just to play the game fluently and you're saying it like it's a "must thing to do", I myself don't have that bad of a ping compared to others its god-like without using 3rd party programs [Mine is around 100-140] But the way you're addressing this is like you are saying to everyone "Buy this if you want to play our game"

• Like 1

The way you're selling all of this doesn't seem like it, seems like you are sponsored or something [Most likely aren't] You say that you CAN'T fix it yet you could but don't have the resources to do it as you mentioned after that [Which i hardly believe in] , Why not just boldly say you aren't going to go for other servers like you sometimes do on discord? Having the excuse of "But most of our players are NA" Yes, because you only appeal to that side of the world with the servers... that to me isn't a job well done.. Anywho i don't want this to become a day's prolonged discussion so i'll leave it here.

10 minutes ago, Meth said:

The way you're selling all of this doesn't seem like it, seems like you are sponsored or something [Most likely aren't]

This is a temporary solution until we can find the time to support two servers. We tried doing this before, and we failed miserably at supporting both. It is not something our team can do at this time.

Nin Online is not sponsored by anything, all I did was include a referral link for ExitLag.

• Like 1

There is to say that it's not just server distance...

Some time ago Seth fixed something up with the code which drastically improved the ping for everybody, however, those changes improved the ping as far as you stand still and nothing is happening in the map you are currently in (jutsu casting, movement, etc.)
If someone starts to move or cast jutsu, the ping starts to spike up, only to fall down again to it's "real" value, this I would bet is caused by the engine or something wrong in the code.

^If it wasn't for that, my ping would be around 150 all the time, which would be great/fair considering the server distance, and if other "optional" services improved it even further, all the better.

What @Meth meant is probably regarding the ping spiking up, and the only way to fix this "bug" is a 3rd party tool.

• 1 month later...