Will Of Fire Monument & Training Grounds

Ueda

Rory's Development Log #3
Will of Fire Monument / Konoha Memorial
Training Grounds WIP

Hey everyone,

Here on time to provide another development log. I'd like to mention that any tiles I do, I create bearing in mind making it as re-usable and ready for in-game use as possible. I normally go through 3-4 hours of spriting, plug the tiles straight into map editor, and it will work perfectly because I had already thought it through.

In the past, I used to create buildings and tiles more like creating mock ups. I wanted to get it to look good, not bearing in mind the scale for the game, the size, whether I could divide it into 32x32 tiles like I needed to. This led to a whole bunch of useless graphics that needed rework before it saw any practical use.

This time round, I've done the Will of Fire / Konoha Memorial.
To explain what I just mentioned above, look at this..

Posted Image
I use those walls for a lot more than you see right there.
The graves are actually using the same base. So only one 32x32 box is changed, but there can be 8 variations with those few tiles above. The stairs are reused a lot as well. The curved background is a pretty unique structure, so it's only going to be used once.

Posted Image

Alright, so on with the Training Grounds.
In the Naruto series, you have a bunch of training grounds, a lot of them being very dark looking. Like the forest of death.

The one which I've done the entrance for is..
Posted Image
http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Zeroth_Training_Ground

The darker tileset is done for..
Posted Image
http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Mount_Jofuku

But they will also be used for many others. Like the famous Chunnin Exam Forest of Death.

Posted Image

Now that gate looks a little plain eh?
Well I have two signs I plan on re-using else where, that I made into separate tiles. Together they will look something like this.

Posted Image

Well that's all for today's entry!
Thank you for your support, and do leave comments and your opinion thus far in this thread.

• Like 2

Very talented art right here. Hope it doesn't go to waste. Also, a few (many lol) side questions; How many villages are there? Are they basically done content-wise? Can wars take place? Do you guys need any help with ideas/balance/some pixel art?

Very talented art right here. Hope it doesn't go to waste. Also, a few (many lol) side questions; How many villages are there? Are they basically done content-wise? Can wars take place? Do you guys need any help with ideas/balance/some pixel art?

1) There are many villages mate, so listing them all would be pointless, instead here is a wiki with most of it. Keep in mind villages are located inside countries. 

2) Yes wars will take place, though we are still discussing how this should happen.

3) Currently I believe we are looking for a spriter. If you have the skills to do such, give applying a shot :)

Liomli, on 24 Jun 2013 - 6:22 PM, said: Very talented art right here. Hope it doesn't go to waste. Also, a few (many lol) side questions; How many villages are there? Are they basically done content-wise? Can wars take place? Do you guys need any help with ideas/balance/some pixel art?

Thank you! I assure you it won't be :) My version of the answers for these would be more about the launch. 1) On the launch of the game, you will only be able to play as a Leaf ninja, so the only village will be Konoha. After this, we will spend time sorting out potential issues, make things more fun with one village in mind, before we launch a second village. Hopefully, in the long term, we will expand upon this further and make even more villages. But this will be at the expense of staying true to the series, seeing as Konoha and Sunagakure are kind of the only two villages that are shown a lot in the series. 2) Wars will take place when there is 2 villages. So this will be launched as additional content post-launch. 3) Yes, we are!