Alpha Progress Update

Seth

@ I think the community would be interesting to know the reasons that prevent staff from releasing the alpha, not only for the sake of team time but the server problems and client, if I can help in something, I'll be happy !. Perhaps clarifying some points people are not upset with the delay, something of quality really takes time, better release something stable than something bad.

Our team is not together, we can't make the game right now. I've tried many times to get everyone back on track,. but me going insane and working by myself just burns me out. It is tough working by yourself, if I had more people working with me the game would be done, but no one sticks with the game when they join the team. It is quite frustrating. The reason why I made this post was to get the staff refocused, but this did not work. There's nothing else that can be done except working by myself until they decide to start working again. Again, this is why games are paid to be made and not volunteer, this is due to happen and is not something that can be avoided.

• Like 1

You're simply not finding the right people. There are tons of successful fan made games where nobody was paid for their work. It was simply a project of like minded individuals working on something they were all interested in. Hiring anyone who will say "yeah I want to help" is a recipe for disaster. This is the reason companies have interviews rather than just hire the first guy that says he wants to work for them. You first priority should be to tell anyone not currently involved that they're fired and not to bother attempting to re-apply for any position in the staff.

Allowing anyone to be part of the team who isn't contributing properly is a complete waste of time, tell them to fuck off.

• Like 5

I give everyone a chance not cause I am naive, but because I think everyone deserves an opportunity. I've had too many bad experiences in life where I need to be something greater than myself just to get in the door and this is not what I consider proper hiring practices. Why do I need to act so fake to be hired at a job. Some people are just really odd individuals, but are so talented that it is unbelievable.

I have said people are fired if they don't work, all artists were fired except a few.

really do everything yourself is complicated, there is much to be done both part of server and client and graphics and even the website, I imagine it all upon a single person, it is very complicated and you end up overloading and work that way not yield expected. I believe you'll get over it soon and get to continue the project after so many years and now I see that the game is magnificent in every way is not possible that the team will not have more or even time to continue . All though all work, we have to deal with things and not 24 hours on a project but hindsight has a great future and I hope they get an income from it because it is not easy, and support $ to participate in alpha etc is very necessary to give that encouragement to developers.

Because the practice of giving everyone an opportunity is extremely inefficient as opposed to going with the people best for the job to begin with. If this was normal practice nothing would get done, there would be no progress, and we would all be hunting and gathering for our food right now. Case and point, how many deadlines has this game missed? How much bullshit have you had to put up with? How many complaints have you had to read through? How many times have I had to become a loudmouth and raise my concerns? Progress isn't about being nice and giving everyone an opportunity, and as harsh as it sounds, this is the way of the universe and it is unavoidable if you want something done right.

• Like 1

No it isn't, that's exactly the mentality that causes setbacks. An artist who designs a few assets and then stops doing work completely, has contributed to nothing. Those same assets may need to be replaced later. Now the time that you could be spending working on the game is spent looking for a new artist. Apply the exact same shitty methodology with the new artists, rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

I give everyone a chance not cause I am naive, but because I think everyone deserves an opportunity. I've had too many bad experiences in life where I need to be something greater than myself just to get in the door and this is not what I consider proper hiring practices. Why do I need to act so fake to be hired at a job. Some people are just really odd individuals, but are so talented that it is unbelievable.

I have said people are fired if they don't work, all artists were fired except a few.

It's not even about giving anyone a chance. It's about getting rid of the lazy and un-motivated persons. 

I usually give them a task and if they can't do it, I don't hire them. It's as simple as that. When people become staff, it means they passed my test, but oftentimes they get fired later on due to my tests not being good enough to weed out people's personality issues such as being too young or immature. If you are either of these, it doesn't matter how good you are, you are ineligible to work on the game.

Hey.. Just new here... like someone posted wish i was good "enough" to help out but... well i am a noob artist in any case if there is something i can help with? could try some pixel work.. but again i am at a very "junior" level :(

You should post some of your work for us to judge

wait did i get early access? :D

You have it now.

As for any haters, the subscription model is a backer form that allows the game to be made in a gradual and consistent manner. The game creation process speeds up toward the middle way, we're about there. There's not much content yet, but that will change in time when more people realize how good the game is - the game @Rory and I have came up together.

If people don't want to back, they don't back. The game was never advertised as completed. We're doing our best to bring resources where they need, to make the game possible and making adjustments to strengthen the future of the game and its success. If we were going to drop the game and cash out, we would of done that by now. It isn't about cashing out on a quick success, the game is here for the long run and will continuously improve. Our model is to improve the game even after launch and not release a new version aka reset everything and have everyone go to a new game.

This is why everything is so streamlined, people can see updates and provide feedback from start to finish. The game will come out way better than something hidden away for a decade and comes out in something the players didn't even want to play. This is a new type of game creation - Early Access, a lot of people hate it and a lot of people like it. It likely is just not your cup of tea, some people enjoy the journey where some people just want to eat the cake and be done with it.

• Like 1

Your number one priority should be to re-evaluate and refine your hiring process, it's failed for more than a year yet continues to be used. Money is clearly not the reason this game has it's setbacks. If your hiring process is shit, you're likely to end up hiring people who are shit. Maybe you'll get lucky and strike gold once in a while, but don't count on it.

There's no more accurate response to the Ninonline hiring methodology than Vaas.

There's just no one good to hire. What do you mean our hiring process is bad? If no talent is around and no one wants to work, we just need to increase the motivation of our workplace. It's not that easy, it is easy when you have money to force people to work.

It doesn't work that way. Money isn't a motivator for someone to do a good job. Money is compensation for someone who simply just does the job. There are plenty of people who slack off and get paid for it. I work with a guy who earns more than me and he literally falls asleep at his desk every single day, about 8 - 10 times a day, and begins to snore. Out of the 30ish people who are within my team, all of whom earn a paycheck, more than half of them do a shitty job.