Level Up & Battle Animations

Ueda

v52VMFA.png

Hi Ninjas,

I'm finally doing something interesting today, so I decided to talk about it in a development log. I'm been studying a lot of game animations, but mainly that of MapleStory, and trying to incorporate the fluidity of their animation style into Nin Online. As for now, After some practice, I've created a style I personally like and think fits Nin Online well.

I've used it for the animations below..

Level Up Animation

This is how I designed it in Photoshop.

LsroRqP.gif

This is how it is programmed in-game
dW2qkWj.gif

This animation will play on your character each time you level up. I'm not completely satisfied with it as of yet, so consider it a WIP. I believe it should be a hell lot grander.

Critical / Dodge / Miss Animations

MHKZ6gl.gif

These I like a lot. I believe good animations will really add on to the whole battle experience in Nin Online. The critical animation is intentionally a little Ragnarok Online inspired ;)

This is a little preview of the art seen in this development log, working together in-game.

m2nbwN9.gif

The principles I've incorporated into these animations, which hasn't been widely incorporated into previous animations are..

1. Breaking away from being overly traditional and only using Pixel line art and shading.
  2. Motion Blurs to create more intense effects with less frames.
  3. For certain elements, I try to use good timed scaling to create an effect of Squishyness
  4. For other elements, I tried to create an effect of Elasticity with well timed easing.
  5. Still maintaining the love I give all my animations, and still working on them as frame-by-frame animations.

I hope you guys like this. Feel free to give your feedback.
Also, if there are any web developers interested in coding our new homepage, please PM me!

Regards,
Rory

• Like 24

Good work. I'm particularly impressed with the action animations. In my own personal opinion, I think the level up star is unnecessary. The aura projecting from the feet is sufficient enough. You could accentuate it a little bit more so it actually looks a bit more exciting; i.e, Super Saiyan/Eight Gates type of aura. Or incorporate the star in a way that it sprinkles little star particles after the aura, and perhaps the aura getting bigger every 10 or so levels.

Overall, great work. Stay consistent and motivated.

• Like 3

Good work. I'm particularly impressed with the action animations. In my own personal opinion, I think the level up star is unnecessary. The aura projecting from the feet is sufficient enough. You could accentuate it a little bit more so it actually looks a bit more exciting; i.e, Super Saiyan/Eight Gates type of aura. Or incorporate the star in a way that it sprinkles little star particles after the aura, and perhaps the aura getting bigger every 10 or so levels.

Overall, great work. Stay consistent and motivated.

Thanks for the nice comments, Ryu.

I would love to do this :) good idea.

• Like 1

Everything there looks sweet

1. Motion Blurs to create more intense effects with less frames.

About this though, How intense is the motion blurs going to be considering i know of quite a few people who suffer from simulation/motion sickness due to high amounts of motion blur, low FPS/FOV among other things

can you give an option for just simple text for really low end PCs or people who suffer from these things

Or the current icons you've just showed off

Everything there looks sweet

About this though, How intense is the motion blurs going to be considering i know of quite a few people who suffer from simulation/motion sickness due to high amounts of motion blur, low FPS/FOV among other things

can you give an option for just simple text for really low end PCs or people who suffer from these things

Or the current icons you've just showed off

I think the problem you're referring to is the post rendering motion blur on 3D games. This shouldn't apply to small motion blurs applied to animation effects on a small part of the 2D game screen.

I think the problem you're referring to is the post rendering motion blur on 3D games. This shouldn't apply to small motion blurs applied to animation effects on a small part of the 2D game screen.

Pretty sure it isn't exclusive to 3d games, but if it does become an issue i'm sure you'll address it