Beds, Social Login, and Server Selection

Seth

v52VMFA.png

"I stole Rory's Development Log image cause I can't make my own. Don't tell him, it'll be our little secret. :) "

Hi Ninjas,

This is a fairly short showcase demonstrating some of the new changes we've made to the game as of late. 

I already am working around 20 hours a week on Nin Online, and this is ramping up the more I get motivated. Pretty soon, @Rory and I will be teaming up to get content flowing out the door for Open Alpha 3. Expect Early Access which will not be the finished game within 2 weeks or less, but it will give our veterans an opportunity to experience what the game has to offer!  >:(

Even though the game is an alpha, we put a lot of focus on polish and try to make it feel like beta. The main difference between our alpha and beta definition is content. The game's content is by far alpha build quality. There's still a lot of changes we're making to the game of course, like bounties, clans, and more villages to name a few. ;)

Beds

They are now multi-directional and behave much better. They were also broken before I fixed them yesterday. We also are making the tiles in the game feel more realistic.

Xih3VP9.gif

Social Login

We've already posted about this in our social medias, but this will give you more information. There were problems with people being able to login during the Open Alpha 2 and Closed Alpha 3, because users had to reset their password if they used a social media to create their account. We went ahead and ridded you all of that trouble, now you can use your social media that is connected to your Nin Online account to log in without any hassles.

MnGxt4z.png

Server Selection

This was done mostly by @. He is truly one of the best programmers we've had on the team. This allows you to select a server before joining the world of Nin Online, each server will have its own settings and features. Until we hit beta, the servers will behave the same, but we are planning to expand them to have optimized settings for specific player bases in our community.

VDZJ9t9.png

Right now, we have three servers planned for Open Alpha 3. We will expand these if necessary, but they are being made now for preparation for that test and not Early Access.

Y2JsTt0.png   kcQ3wQx.png

Conclusion

We're going to be pumping out more Development Logs now, so this is a short and sweet one, but we have done a lot more to the game than just this.

As a side note, we've had a lot of our best team members resign due to real life issues. I am the only programmer left on the team. Most of our artists are still on board, but don't worry we got it under control and the programmers that left, are having real life issues and may return one day!  :D

• Like 13

I liked the "bed system", it reminds me of the game tibia, when u exit the game with your character in your home by clicking on the bed, it is with a similar appearance to what they did.

Ex:

nHTI9Es.png

I was missing different servers and was pretty much the arts. The more optimization on the server and ease of access to players better the quality of the game, congratulations !, I liked this update.

• Like 1

Open Alpha 3 is around 2 months away, we're opening Early Access within 2 weeks. I actually spent my entire day off working on Nin and had to go to work right after posting this. :(

Early Access will be earnable if you have both ranks: Gold and Silver, or have been a member of the site for 2 years and have either one. This will change in future tests, it is not permanent. We may allow people to donate $30+ to get in. I don't know yet. $20 is the cost of Gold Ninja, so you would have to donate an additional $10. Anyone who has donated in the past will count, it is not from the announcement of the test.

• Like 2

I don't understand why being able to walk into a bed is a highlight so I assume I'm missing something. I mean, no offense, but I could code and icon the entire thing myself starting from nothing in DM within an hour.

Each development log has a map in it. I was trying to have a nice map to demonstrate something other than plain images... The development log is pretty bare bones I know, but I have been busy bug fixing and optimization as of late. There's not a lot of time to scatter and present something flashy and new.

• Like 1

I don't understand why being able to walk into a bed is a highlight so I assume I'm missing something. I mean, no offense, but I could code and icon the entire thing myself starting from nothing in DM within an hour.

Yet many games don't do it so I would say it is a highlight. It gives the game more immersion. I hope we will be able to sit on chairs and benches also maybe even on the ground.Also a slight graphical glitch with the entering beds at the foot of the bed if you didn't notice that Seth.

• Like 1

I get what you're saying. But for starters, DM is a terrible engine. It's virtually obsolete, on top of its many flaws. I'd rather play and contribute to a game with a solid engine that the developers are pouring their souls into, than a BYOND game where someone programmed and pixeled new features in an hour.

DM does precisely what it was meant to do and it does it very well. It gives complete newbies to programming a glimpse of what it's like to be a programmer. The language intentionally holds the coder's hand by doing a lot of things automatically like allocating memory to variables, taking care of pretty much all the netcode, and adding a few layers of security for a smoother experience. At some point most of those newbies who got a taste for programming and enjoyed it will move on to more complex languages that don't hold your hand as much.

It doesn't matter if the game was coded in DM, Python, C, C++, Java, whatever, as long as all the planned features are possible, performance was acceptable, and it could be done in a reasonable amount of time. Most people who argue that DM sucks don't have any real meat behind that statement. On one side, you could go with a language like DM that holds your hand, does a lot of things for you, probably even some things you don't necessarily want which could affect performance. While on the other side you could choose a low level language like Assembly which would allow the game to have lightning fast performance and extreme attention to detail, but take literally a century to code.

@

That's understandable, seeing as part of your description under beds was to make tiles look more realistic, you guys could show before/after images of that work as it would be more significant. Just a thought.

• Like 1

The difference between the beds before and now visually, is you don't get that 1 second of standing on the bed before you drop into a sleeping position like you did before. I don't think we have comparison footage though.

I think DM has too many limitations to be taken seriously enough. I'm amazed when people like Chris Gayle does something like Spirit Age, it looks amazing and it works. But then you play it, and you can't help but feel like it would have been so much better if it was coded in an engine with better performance. Spirit Age is in my opinion, the furthest anyone has pushed the engine both visually and programming wise (I've seen the toolset he's developed for it, it works similarly to Nin's eventing system, and he aimed even further than Nin has with pixel based movement and combat) but the game would not run smoothly with more players. BYOND Server's netcode isn't powerful enough to sync packets between the server and 10 players with that much amount of data.

In my own personal conclusion, DM is a good tool to prototype games while learning server architecturing and programming. But isn't capable of a executing a smooth final product.