Me explaining RPvP

Ueda

So I was talking to Seth about what Nin Online's RP and PvP mixed game design philosophy is all about, and I think I explained it better than ever before, so I'm quoting myself here.

RP - Roleplaying

PvP - Player vs Player (normally used to describe a game with combat features)

RPvP (Patent pending) is a system I designed to introduce players who enjoy PvP to a soft environment of RP where all they have to do is stay in character and to make players who enjoy the RP systems, need to dabble with PvP in order to be taken seriously in the community.

Traditional RP is all about imagination. RPvP takes away the need to use your imagination in the hardest scenarios, such as combat. Nobody likes pretending to be fighting without getting any numbers or visuals as feedback. Hence we offer them PvP combat.

In RPvP, you get role playing where your imagination is consistent with other players. You fight and there is no arguable winner. You have a clear cut winner in every fight. But you fight in character.

RP is not for everyone. Infact, a number of players will just want a fast-paced fighting game. We won't please them with our game because that's not what we offer. What we do offer is a mix of a combat system and immersiveness into a social game where you can be recognized by a community as dabes.

The difference between a PvP game and a RPvP game is that you will kill the 9-Tailed Demon Fox, yes, but afterwards you can go back to your village and brag about it and your tales will be spread through a community of players. The difference between a RP game and RPvP game is that you can brag about killing the 9-Tailed Demon Fox, yes. But then you'd have to had really done that in-game, and not just be saying that.

• Like 8

Yea I agree, 

That was very clear, straight forward, and well said.  Just how much longer until we actually get to see this played out in game.  I mean yesterday Bell and I role played as student and sensei.  I was the student and he helped me out with pvp by killing me every single time, but it was so fun, I had a blast because I got better with my fire style. 

Seeing this stuff performed in game is going to be amazing.  Lets just hope this year is the year of a release, because in 2 years, I won't be around anymore due to my career and I'd hate to never have gotten the chance to experience the first release day  :D

• Like 1

All throughout my career on BYOND, on the several games I've owned and adminned for, I've held the exact same views! The thing about BYOND however is, there are too many "RP purists" to really support the RPvP mechanic to wild success. Back when I owned BLH, I had 120 players on at any given time, but that was 2010. I functioned extremely well with a solid RPvP format. Then the game was abruptly stolen from me by my co-owner, my programmer, and the former owner. They then turned it into an RP purist's paradise. Don't get me wrong, I -love- writing combat RP. But PvP was the sole way to handle disputes that an admin could not. After they unceremoniously yanked me out of the chain of command, their playerbase dropped to 30 people. Why? Because they eliminated what made the game great. They even took credit for the effort that I'd put into the game, thereafter. But this, Rory. I can totally get behind this. Just have to say, you're awesome.

• Like 2

This concept can be very well used for ninonline. many players seek this kind of game, I always say that the more immersive better. Nowadays great games have the freedom of the player and try to make these players feel satisfied with their achievements in games. PVP is essential for this project but something like RPvP is even better. In particular, ninonline is overcoming my expectations, I am experienced in saying how much already witnessed in game development, I know it takes time, but even if it takes, but remember that the quality of server and client, design, gameplay is excellent and it is rare to see it. I repeat, it is a pleasure to help with whatever, even with ideas and opinions.

You guys, built a good community.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't get the concept you're trying to convey. There are several RPG games out already where people will kill a difficult boss and brag about it whether they are roleplaying or not. Killing a difficult boss monster isn't even PvP, it's PvE, so your example doesn't help me understand the idea.

How does one fight in character; If you're tryna make me type when im about to do a jutsu you got another thing coming.....

I don't think that's what we meant by RolePlay, you don't need to talk and fight like in anime. But atl east try to make it as real as possible. It's just like SAMP RolePlay, you have RP which is acting like in real life, you talk in character ((Maybe sometimes not all the time, maybe you could talk OOCly as well like out of character)), your character doesn't have anything with you in real life, you can make him to be like you in RL but you are not going to talk about your real life when roleplaying, you know. I hope I kinda explained it... at least I tried.

This is a perfect sytem tbh. I think the advantage most  Naruto games will always have is roles. Back when NNG was at its prime, we had people who would lurk in the shadows but still contribute to their village. This RPvP is perfect for players like myself , who would still enjoy wacking the crap out of people and have a reputation for being strong, while being known as a quiet person throughout my village. Therefore we can eliminate the stigmata that most people think kages are always supposed to help them, they can analyze their char and truly see if they deserve that position.

• 2 weeks later...