Heartfelt thanks

Ueda

Creamed a bit when I read Nin Online is Last Ninja Online.

Great post Rory. Your dedication is admirable.

I used to talk to Ash quite a bit, he let me play what he was working on with LNO occasionally.

I was always glad to see that Nin wasn't the only Project like that back then, it gave me more hope because I wasn't quite sure if Nin was going to make it as it was. LNO was always steps behind though. Ashramaru couldn't even settle on an engine :p

I used to talk to Ash quite a bit, he let me play what he was working on with LNO occasionally.

I was always glad to see that Nin wasn't the only Project like that back then, it gave me more hope because I wasn't quite sure if Nin was going to make it as it was. LNO was always steps behind though. Ashramaru couldn't even settle on an engine :p

Yet your talking about moving to Unity and wasting all this time and effort.....

Yet your talking about moving to Unity and wasting all this time and effort.....

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Unity allow Nin to also be played on mobile devices, a platform for which 2D games are both popular and profitable?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Unity allow Nin to also be played on mobile devices, a platform for which 2D games are both popular and profitable?

Yes it would but still the point still stands about swapping engines this late on in development

Yes it would but still the point still stands about swapping engines this late on in development

Switching to a mobile compatible program would provide Nin with long term sustainability in terms of profit, as it would vastly increase the player base. I think it would be worth the switch as 2D mmorpgs on PC are not attractive to mainstream gamers.

• Like 1

Switching to a mobile compatible program would provide Nin with long term sustainability in terms of profit, as it would vastly increase the player base. I think it would be worth the switch as 2D mmorpgs on PC are not attractive to mainstream gamers.

My point is so much effort would be wasted. Swapping engine wouldn't guarantee long term sustainability in terms of profit it is how the game is run. Look at some of the older mmorpgs around that don't have mobile versions. That isn't true at all 2D mmorpgs are attractive to mainstream gamers it just has to look visually appealing which this game does. 

Take MapleStory global it has been going for 10 years now it's 2D and has no mobile version.  Having a mobile version isn't the be all and end all. Also having to manage two versions isn't easy especially for a small development team like this.

James, we've never talked about moving to Unity.

We've discussed porting to Unity post-release, only once we have a game operationally ready and running. If and when we do port, we will also continue to add content to the current version of the game.

This is a project to overcome the limitations of VB6.

We've discussed porting to Unity post-release, only once we have a game operationally ready and running. If and when we do port, we will also continue to add content to the current version of the game.

Moving to Unity and porting to Unity is the exact same thing mmmkay. Because Unity's support for VB is shit at best; Meaning that VB will need to be scripted into Unity, you kids will end up having to reprogram the entire game in C#.

You guys still haven't made a concrete decision on what engine to go with which is extremely important. In your reddit thread promoting the game, Seth claims that a new custom engine is being worked on, well that would mean that the move to Unity isn't going to take place. Make up your goddamn minds.

If you guys plan to have the game in multiple engines, that's an even worse plan because you'd have to duplicate added content into each different engine. You guys have to start putting in some serious and well informed thought into the moves you make, before you make them.

For your viewing pleasure, here is an exact representation of the choices you guys have been making regarding the technical aspects of game development thus far.

l6rRIDz.gif

• Like 3

This is a project to overcome the limitations of VB6.

Hmm ok but that would still be developing two separate games and you don't really have the team for that. 

I think that would be great. My laptop broke and I basically missed the whole Early Access testing. I had a tablet and phone but when I downloaded it, it obviously wasn't compatible. Although I do think this a wonderful idea, it's best to leave it out for later development when the number of people on the community increase. We do have 100+ members visiting everyday, but it's probably only 10-20 members that actually post or does something.

• Ueda featured this topic