Just an idea - About /v & Aviaries

Ueda

Only broadcast messages through Aviary?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Only broadcast messages through Aviary?

I think the more you take away from vchat the less used it will be and the more convinced I am that you just want to remove it. 

I think that would be fine but I think that functionality has to be added to fulfill what vchat should be used for. Selling Items, Requesting RP missions, and making call outs. 

The aviary works for me for call outs. But as I have posted before I think that the message boards found in the village should be extended to include functions like finding RP teams and selling items. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ueda said:

This is just an idea and something I want to hear your thoughts on.
What if each village has an aviary and in order to broadcast messages to the village you need to be in the aviary.

I think it will help the Rp, because , dont have a radio for each people of village to use Vsay.

I'm not against RP or anything, but there are things that are essential for an MMORPG. Since you want to be RP take the amount of XP shown to level up, take any other type of message without being the group or this one on the same map (since nobody here is of the Yamanaka clan) and take the limitation of slots for jutsus because this is not RP either. Entenede now that since this is a game he can not be totally RP, he needs some standard systems anyway.

I am quite against global chats in MMORPGs, and it's not just me who thinks this way. The initial idea for /v was to give it to Hokages to announce messages, but we trialed giving it to everyone, and people started relying on it too much. So my ideas to limit it to a RP use is a compromise.

But this is just an idea.

Here's other people discussing it.

"Basically what world chat does is to encourage antisocial behavior.
If the guy you want to badmouth is close to you and can kill you, you will think it twice to say anything bad at them."

"I love UO where you can chat only in closest vicinity since your words appear literally over your head and it's an isometric game. Dunno about official servers, but old ass shards were like that, I used to play those that even hadn't any ingame guilds systems present so literally no chat channels other than your immidiate surroundings."

"What you're saying is true, matchmaking kills social curves in MMOs, and WoW ruined everything. Everybody kind of just knows that things got 'too convenient'."

"This is is a pretty interesting argument. Many of my best interactions in recent years are when I run into other players out in the wild and just use the "local" version of chat t ask if they want to group up. The global/regional chats seem to be much less condusive to playing together, at least unless folks are strictly goal oriented."

"It's also the ability to do simple things like dicking around, but online. Coupled with a verbal/social presence of distance-based chat made mmo worlds feel alive. To me it did. That's why Runescape was so popular among my friends and opened us up to try all the other ones out at the time.

Today I feel like all aspects of any mmo always has the same endpoint. And that point just gears it straight back to PvE or PvP. Makes the experience bland and one track. Crafting, cooking, questing, it's all just to bump up your gear or combat. You don't do it for fun; there's no auxiliary reward for it. That's why close-system chats were so refreshing and flavorful for mmos. Half the fun came from other players themselves. The game base just facilitated the enjoyment of the company of others.

The loss of the chat you speak of though is the exact reason why none of my friends play online games anymore. The mmo genre today has honestly been reduced to short-term themeparks and joyless raiding. I think online FPS and MOBAs are still popular, though. And lo and behold they have both insular chat systems and organic gameplay."

I'm not saying that these people are right. But in my opinion as well, I think local chat makes the world feel a lot more spacial, and more real. Being able to shout to the entire world with no in-game reasoning kind of kills immersion.

But we'll see!

• Like 6

I think the Aviary idea is solid. Village chat should never be used as some significant form of communication between villagers. Often times you will see village chat get filled with minor conversations that shouldn't really be there in the first place. I think with the change you could still accomplish trading, RP recruiting, etc. I think it will also add some spice to raiding because most times you can sit in a map and if you see someone pass by you just quickly mention it and everyone is on high alert. If you are required to actively participate to prep for an incoming raid it requires everyone from the highest to lowest to get involved. Kages could designate high ranking members to receive whispers in regards to raids or invaders.

I think it's at least worth a try.

• Like 1

I think that it will be good for hunting too. It will be harder for ninjas to know when somebody is hunting, and which map he is. So more people in danger zone?

And only the Kages and the jonins should be able to use /v chat to give important infos about future raids or events.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roku Fist of Asura said:

I'm not against RP or anything, but there are things that are essential for an MMORPG. Since you want to be RP take the amount of XP shown to level up, take any other type of message without being the group or this one on the same map (since nobody here is of the Yamanaka clan) and take the limitation of slots for jutsus because this is not RP either. Entenede now that since this is a game he can not be totally RP, he needs some standard systems anyway.

I disagree, when you put a chat in this way where everyone in the village can see at any moment, this ends with any type of Rp , it's very annoying when someone in the low level, see you invading and everyone in village already know that you are there , if you are thinking in a way more real you would have to flee first and warn the rest. this change can create a lot of new roles in the game, an example would be guardians, that avoid to  invaders or warn the village about the invasion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ueda said:

I am quite against global chats in MMORPGs, and it's not just me who thinks this way. The initial idea for /v was to give it to Hokages to announce messages, but we trialed giving it to everyone, and people started relying on it too much. So my ideas to limit it to a RP use is a compromise.

But this is just an idea.

I'm neutral about this idea, I just commented here because I saw RP being used as an excuse for such, Rory already clarified his point and this that matters.