Happy 7th Birthday Nin Online!

Ueda

Dear Ninja,

Normally in June, we'd release a time-exclusive cosmetic as a way to commemorate another year of Nin Online and for these items to hold "I was here in 20XX" significance. But as the days are passing and my focus has been on the actual in-game content but more importantly the major reworking of the game's core technologies (Server & Client), I've found myself further and further past the dateline to write this annual note that signals another successful year of service and further development. So I'm just going to write a love letter without the gift for now with the promise we'll have one sometime later this year.

Nin Online is a love letter
As you all know, Nin Online is a game made by fans for fans. It's been the biggest project in my life so far, and it's been something I've been making since I was a kid in one form or another. Some of the newer members might not know, but Nin Online really started in 2006 when I was a kid. I wanted to make an MMORPG based on Naruto, because there was none at the time. I was way too young back then, so I spent years learning, I went to school to learn infact, and I joined projects to learn how to make Nin Online. Then I made Nin Online in 2013.

There's dev logs documenting the entire journey sprinkled all over this forum. Filled with so much history, I urge anyone who hasn't done some digging on the past to just start reading our Dev logs from 2013 till today. It'll really give you a clearer picture of the vision from then, and how it's being fulfilled till now.

To a lot of us Naruto is something that has all meant something to us at least at some point in our lives. It's that commonality that brings our otherwise very different personalities together and keeps our community grounded at the end of the day. It's something I still strive to honor as much as the game differs from the series, I still want everyone to feel like they are part of the ninja world, but it's your ninja world.

A bright future
It's almost crazy how Nin Online is still growing and livelier every day. With a player base larger, more active and dramatic as ever, it's unbelievable almost. The recent months past have also been the most financially successful in Nin Online's history!

This year, we intend to take the game's capabilities to a new level by remaking both the Server and Client (the technologies that power Nin Online) and we're already more than half way through that. Once we're done with these major reworks, we intend to introduce features that have been asked for since the beginning. I don't want to speak on what exactly because I've learned too well that hyping things in advance causes advanced backlash when we shift our focus.

Things are honestly looking very positive for Nin!

Through the thick and thin
I have to acknowledge that without the support of all the Gold Ninja from back in the day, we would not have had a game to launch into live service in 2017. Without the support of everyone who has supported the game in the past year, the server rework project would not have been able to happen. And with your support into the future.. we will have another year of Nin Online to celebrate in 2021.

We've had rough times over the years, we've had staff members come and go, and we've had our fair share of complaints, backlash and criticism. Things can get really nasty and debates can get very heated. But I will always respect and remember the kind people in the community who have stuck with us, stood up for the developers and shown us support regardless of whether it was cool at the time to do so.

I love you all! Nin Online Kampai!

Regards,
Ueda

• Like 26

Appreciate the compliment there. Few of us had bought Gold Ninja before there was a single benefit to it back in the day and Rory had nothing to show to us, we had such high hopes.

Never been around for a game this long only because it has potential. We've built such a great community over the years.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Ueda unpinned this topic
  • Ueda locked this topic