Cosmetics are Cool but Pointless; Here's a Solution

Darth Vader

Question

As the title says; cosmetics are cool but pointless. We have so many war armors and flak jackets but they literally do not increase your defense. We have a utility pouch that costs 2,500 ryo that doesn't allow you to increase your tool count like it claims it does, and there are masks in game that don't conceal identity even though they are classified and labeled as well as literally named "Mask". @Ueda

>If you have war armor of some kind it should absorb 15% of all damage taken
>If you have Chunin/Jonin Flak Jacket it should absorb 10% of all damage taken
>If you have Utility Vest of some kind it should absorb 5% of all damage taken
>If you have Utility Pouch you should be allowed to carry +200 of each tool.
>Red/Silver Vagabond Scarf are labeled as masks but don't conceal identity
>Medical Ninja masks are labeled as masks but don't conceal identity

Feel free to add on guys. I'm coming back to this game after Boot Camp 100%. 

8 answers to this question

boi you talking about absorb like we are playing a Pokemon game.

Seems like the Boot Camp sharping your mind badly.

You basically sayin "Make the game Gear based" Well i can understand your point you cant handle with the weakness you thirsty for some stats to make your gameplay relevant.

Cheers happy to see you back hitting champ.

• Like 2

Not trying to be mean or anything but even from the definition itself that is exactly what cosmetics are. They don't have to be useful.

EDIT:

Not speaking of the weird suggestion of "absorbtion", pure fortitude buff would be literally enough instead, no need to invent new and pointless mechanics. However, I like the idea of being able to carry more than two hundred throwable/placeable tools. Deviax made a good point up there, the "fashion" part of Nin would be gone as some outfits would become "meta". I personally don't like that idea at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steezo said:

boi you talking about absorb like we are playing a Pokemon game.

Seems like the Boot Camp sharping your mind badly.

You basically sayin "Make the game Gear based" Well i can understand your point you cant handle with the weakness you thirsty for some stats to make your gameplay relevant.

Cheers happy to see you back hitting champ.

I literally beat you the other day, champ. Your gameplay weaker than mine. And yeah I'll 1v1 you again anytime anywhere. 

37 minutes ago, Utzotz said:

Not trying to be mean or anything but even from the definition itself that is exactly what cosmetics are. They don't have to be useful.

EDIT:

Not speaking of the weird suggestion of "absorbtion", pure fortitude buff would be literally enough instead, no need to invent new and pointless mechanics. However, I like the idea of being able to carry more than two hundred throwable/placeable tools. Deviax made a good point up there, the "fashion" part of Nin would be gone as some outfits would become "meta". I personally don't like that idea at all.

The fashion part of Nin is dumb anyway it's a PvP game not a Catwalk contest. You don't walk into war wearing hot pants. 

• Boring 1

Nin is more than a pvp game and cosmetics are meant to be just as the word describes, cosmetic. If gear had stats, everyone would use meta items and there would be no uniqueness to anyone's appearance. I disagree with this suggestion whole heartedly. I think you should really educate yourself on the kind of game Nin is meant to be before making a post like this. And if you are too lazy to research, I will sum it up for you as an MMORPG, not direct PVP.

EDIT: Not to mention, if cosmetics gave stats that would mean Nin was a P2W environment, and no one wants that.

Cosmetic items are a necessary element of a game like this. They can help to provide income, provide incentive for the developers to keep working on the game, and most importantly help keep the game free.

That said, I definitely think more items that influence gameplay would be cool as well. It's a tricky thing to deal with however because it somewhat would force players to wear certain items. For example, wearing a cash shop back scroll that doesn't provide any bonuses would be almost seen as trolling when you could be wearing a back pouch that gives you more tools. One of the best elements of this game in my opinion is the customizing each player can do to be unique and recognizable when you see them.

Maybe a way this problem could be overcome is by adding 1-3 "passive" slots to the ninja tab.

For example, imagine an item is added to the game that adds poison to your shuriken hits. The art could be a vial of snake venom with a description stating it would add this bonus to your tool throws. At the same time, this passive wouldn't need for an item to actually be showing on your character.

This is just 1 idea to help illustrate the type of items that could added for players to go out and find that aren't necessarily cosmetics.

• Like 2