Worth it

Ueda

Just making a post here because YouTube recommended me our own Nin Online soundtrack.

I've been reminded recently of the amount of money spent to create original music in the early development days, when the game was burning through my savings and freelance earnings. When I had to survive on bread and milk and instant noodles for months on end because I had nothing left for myself and I don't come from a wealthy family. Every cent donated throughout the development period was also given to freelancers and others to draw art, make music, code and to draw promotional artwork that we still use till today.

In the last week I streamed playing games made by others that had stolen Nin Online's original Art and UI. It really got me thinking, why go through all the work of actually being the one to create things when others just out right steal what you've invested your time and money into. I don't really talk about the struggles of development in 2013 leading up till beta because I usually can reason with myself that those sacrifices were necessary. But when people show me otherwise, that they can make money off my work without repercussion, I start to doubt myself and regret putting myself through so much hardship.

But then I was serenaded by Sand Canyons by @Afilion

The hopeful tune really gave me the lift out of the dumps that I needed.
The reason why I couldn't copy someone else's work in 2013, as an 18 year old kid was because there was nobody to copy. There was no game like Nin Online yet.

The community here is great, I can tell everyone appreciates the efforts put in by everyone who has played a part in making Nin Online. When I asked on Discord for people to help bring attention to the fact a game a youtuber had made a video on had stolen art from us, everyone came together to attempt to help. It might or might not pay off and Nin Online might get the attention that game garnered off our team's work. But at the end of the day, I'm just glad we have a supportive community of players who just want to play a good nar Ninja game. 

Anyway, this is not really a dev log, more like a rant. There's so much happening and coming for Nin Online that I'm honestly so excited.

Hope everyone's been doing well in this pandemic!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Nin's soundtracks are something that really go under the radar. IMO, it's not talked about enough. This music is straight up professional level that you'd find in triple A games. 

I know this post is about Nin and its growth, but just gonna send another huge shout out to @Afilion. You raised this game's professionalism several notches.

• Like 1

I remember in when i was 17(2016) being bored in an afternoon, i just had to Google "Naruto" in indiedb website, between all the stuff i found the existance of Nin Online, and since then I can tell this game is a part of my life, this is the only game in which i get into the community stuff, i feel like my friends here are my real life friends (there may be some beefs ingame, but nothing personal, all good with everybody) and I must really thank you bro @Ueda for making and developing Nin Online, keep it up, you're doing great man, there's no other way to look but up and beyond

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hao said:

Nin's soundtracks are something that really go under the radar. IMO, it's not talked about enough. This music is straight up professional level that you'd find in triple A games. 

I know this post is about Nin and its growth, but just gonna send another huge shout out to @Afilion. You raised this game's professionalism several notches.

It's sad but I doubt any soundtrack can stay fresh after years. I tend to play the game with volume down too a lot, just because I'm working or multi-tasking, watching videos etc. Which is why when the track came on it was nostalgic xD

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...