Weapon Switch CD

Covid

Question

The weapon swap cool down was put in place as an attempt to nerf Gentle Fist/Weapon Master. However this cool down has just negatively impacted every other mastery that needs to utilize weapon swapping in order to deal damage from combos. The nerf had little to no impact on it's core focus. Players with the mastery will simply flicker combo then take the sword out and play with it until the 14 seconds are finished making this weapon swap cool down nerf almost useless. This mainly effects hybrids who need to be able to land their combos consistently in order to keep up with pure builds. There is also the issue of "fat fingering"(when a player presses too hard on their key and it results in the weapon coming on and then back off thus triggering the cool down) meaning you could be completely vulnerable and unable to use the jutsu you need for 5 seconds which usually leads to punishment. Masteries heavily affected by this are (Weapon Master/ Strength Fan Wind), (Taijutsu/ Weapon Master), (Bubble/Taijutsu), (Taijutsu/Strength Fan Wind), (Bubble/Weapon Master). This also takes away from players who want to have unique builds utilizing a sword or any other tool without being a specific mastery. I would strongly urge you to remove the cool down on weapon swapping or atleast reduce the cool down to 1-2 seconds max

• Like 3

11 answers to this question

I'm surprised this post has 9 upvotes.

I really disagree. I played before the CD existed and it was too broken. The CD is here for a reason and the limitations that it provides doesn't ruin combat - it just balances it out. 

If anything, CD could be raised a bit.

As someone who has played with weapon swapping a lot I agree with this post. I don't understand the viewpoint of those saying it should be increased further. There are many disadvantages that come with the weapon swap CD and can make pvp a pain in the ass for people. It's also the fact the the weapons attack speed retain their original cool down even after the weapon swap. What I mean is if you use a Bone sword which is .5 second attack speed and melee then swap to a pipe which is about 2.5-3 second attack speed you would have to wait the seconds before attacking again, which is fine. But why stack CD's like that.

3 hours ago, Hao said:

I'm surprised this post has 9 upvotes.

I really disagree. I played before the CD existed and it was too broken. The CD is here for a reason and the limitations that it provides doesn't ruin combat - it just balances it out. 

If anything, CD could be raised a bit.

Also in the past weapon swapping was never broken, there wasn't even many masteries to use it honestly. People just complained about gf/wm but swapping cool down was never a problem for a gf wm with a nerf or without. Not many were weapon swapping alot in the past and the ones that were didn't have the ability to even use the new weapons which would make swapping more viable. Like pipe didn't exist and etc... I don't think it balances much, like in the post it says it ruins combo potential which is true and hybrids need that since pure have a huge advantage with fortitude being the highest stat value

1 hour ago, Basic said:

Also in the past weapon swapping was never broken, there wasn't even many masteries to use it honestly.

WHAT!?!?!?

Well, the disadvantage is there to balance it out

You’re speaking as if WM/Fan and WM/Bubble are not already strong asf with the cooldown on CD. Without that CD these ninjas would be able to swap between high damaging weapon to CC weapon with no problem which is wrong. It is already easy to switch weapon and you barely feel it.

As mentioned earlier the CD isn’t even always working (Im pretty sure the first two swaps have no CD).

It is way too easy to swap weapons and with all these new weapons (probably others coming). Things will become even more cancerous to fight against. The CD should be near 10 seconds.

11 minutes ago, Lumy said:

WHAT!?!?!?

Well, the disadvantage is there to balance it out

You’re speaking as if WM/Fan and WM/Bubble are not already strong asf with the cooldown on CD. Without that CD these ninjas would be able to swap between high damaging weapon to CC weapon with no problem which is wrong. It is already easy to switch weapon and you barely feel it.

As mentioned earlier the CD isn’t even always working (Im pretty sure the first two swaps have no CD).

It is way too easy to swap weapons and with all these new weapons (probably others coming). Things will become even more cancerous to fight against. The CD should be near 10 seconds.

Increasing the CD will have effect for Tai/WM, WM/Fan, Bubble/WM, but not for GF/WM, GF/MED which are even stronger.

Increasing the cooldown sounds like a cheap way to nerf this imo,

U also have to note playing with a weapon swap requires more skill than playing something without a weapon swap.

8 minutes ago, Alev said:

Increasing the CD will have effect for Tai/WM, WM/Fan, Bubble/WM, but not for GF/WM, GF/MED which are even stronger.

Increasing the cooldown sounds like a cheap way to nerf this imo,

U also have to note playing with a weapon swap requires more skill than playing something without a weapon swap.

I don’t care if the CD doesn’t get increased but lowering it would be bad. Whatever it is to nerf these combinations, they need.

But I guess you’re right. Yes, switching weapons requires so much skills.