My experience as a Game Master

Antar

https://www.ninonline.org/forum/forums/index/topic/29158-being-a-game-master-is-hard/

I made this post a year ago in which I asked @Emiya and @Erox about how a GM feels like I never thought I will become a GM myself so Now after I have some experience I want to make a post about my experience.

I only joined the nin online team recently so I didn't fully explore what a game master being felt like so my opinion or things I say in this post might change in the future. 

Game master being a job 

One of the first things I noticed when I became GM is that everything is well organized and working as a Nin online staff feels cool many players think that being a staff is fun and yes it is fun but you get a lot of responsibility too.

Not able to play like a normal player

I missed being a player and playing like normal with my friends but after I been gm for two weeks or so I kinda understand why are gm not allowed to play as normal play and I agree that gm shouldn't be able to play like normal players for several reasons.

New staff team

Polish_20210512_161620526.jpg

When I first saw the new team I didn't expect any of the players who became staff to apply for GM and didn't even know some of them but they all been very helpful to me and supportive and teaching me several new things.

This is what I think about them 

@Delp - I knew Delp senpai from before when he helped me with some of my code when I was learning python for the first time and several other time even before becoming a staff so Delp senpai was the easiest to get along with and they are always helping me in things and teaching me new stuff.

@Ryujin- Ryujin senpai is like one of the players that I always played with but we never or I just rarely talked with so when we both became staff I started to talk a lot more to them and it became so fun talking to them it's like everything they say is correct and they are never wrong somehow also whenever I am feeling down or sad they always show up and try to help me. 

@Vaxure- I never saw Vaxure senpai before but we end up learning commands from Erox senpai together so it was a nice way to meet and talk to them. little did I knew they are like the most helpful and reliable people around whenever I need help I always go to them because they always have a solution. 

@Leighray- I didn't talk to them for somedays when I joined but when I did finally talked to them I understood that they are one of the most fun people in this group and I like talking to them so much but they are usually busy and because of our timezone but every time I am with them it's really fun.

About the gm lead Erox

I always thought that Ero senpai who gave the community so much and made music that I can hear 24/7 is so cool but I thought maybe after I become staff they will get more strict toward me so I can learn how to be a good gm but that wasn't the case at all after talking to them I felt like Wow They are the coolest and most chill person around being with the most fun and you feel a sense of security while you are with them. I sometimes get annoying toward Ero senpai and ask for stuff all the time like I even asked about can I make this post to them for some reason. 

Player behavior toward me 

I can notice that many players treat me very differently than before after I became a staff member and give me more respect. Also whenever I show up in any village I get a lot of attention and everyone starts attacking me. For the most part, Everyone has been nice to me other than one certain player but I think they will understand after a while why I did what I did and they will let it go.

Do I want to become a player again or leave the nin online staff?

Sometimes being a GM can be boring and seeing all your friends having fun while you just stand can be sad sometimes and because of that I do think of going back as a player but at the same time the new staff team is so fun and I enjoy being with them so much that I think I should stay gm for a long time and try to give everyone a nice experience. 

Toxic response and backlash 

This is a common thing that comes with being a gm and happens a lot whether if you ban someone, disqualify someone, give a rare prize and not announcing event all of this give you toxic reply from players but I kinda understand where they are coming from and respects it so I can become better at this but sometimes they go a little overboard and act toxic toward me with every way possible I wish players would first talk to me so maybe if I am wrong I can get it and not repeat it. 

A new perspective of the game

I thought I knew a lot about the game but after I became GM that assumption was broken and I learned so many things about nin and the reason why some things are the way they are that I never knew before. 

Things I think I should improve on

-Getting more confidence.

-Not asking about everything.

-Not be afraid of a player who is trying to bully me.

-Try to get more diversity in the events I do and make a lot more new ones.

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Antar said:

I thought I knew a lot about the game but after I became GM that assumption was broken and I learned so many things about nin and the reason why some things are the way they are that I never knew before. 

What do you mean by this?

8 minutes ago, Gilgamesh said:

What do you mean by this?

I found out why several things are like the way they are for example balance between village or why coupons are not tradable and how the whole staff functions and many other things that I can't talk about in front of players.

10 minutes ago, Antar said:

I found out why several things are like the way they are for example balance between village or why coupons are not tradable and how the whole staff functions and many other things that I can't talk about in front of players.

If a lot of things cleared your own frustrations about the game do you not think the staff being more transparent with the playerbase going further would improve general reception for decisions and updates?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

no offense but you guys are clowns not everyone who stands up to gms is bullying you guys some have legitimate reasoning behind them and you guys walk around with inflated egos after the gm boost thinking people like you it's just the title mate enjoy it and do your best its not that serious

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

13 hours ago, Antar said:

https://www.ninonline.org/forum/forums/index/topic/29158-being-a-game-master-is-hard/

I made this post a year ago in which I asked @Emiya and @Erox about how a GM feels like I never thought I will become a GM myself so Now after I have some experience I want to make a post about my experience.

I only joined the nin online team recently so I didn't fully explore what a game master being felt like so my opinion or things I say in this post might change in the future. 

Game master being a job 

One of the first things I noticed when I became GM is that everything is well organized and working as a Nin online staff feels cool many players think that being a staff is fun and yes it is fun but you get a lot of responsibility too.

Not able to play like a normal player

I missed being a player and playing like normal with my friends but after I been gm for two weeks or so I kinda understand why are gm not allowed to play as normal play and I agree that gm shouldn't be able to play like normal players for several reasons.

New staff team

Polish_20210512_161620526.jpg

When I first saw the new team I didn't expect any of the players who became staff to apply for GM and didn't even know some of them but they all been very helpful to me and supportive and teaching me several new things.

This is what I think about them 

@Delp - I knew Delp senpai from before when he helped me with some of my code when I was learning python for the first time and several other time even before becoming a staff so Delp senpai was the easiest to get along with and they are always helping me in things and teaching me new stuff.

@Ryujin- Ryujin senpai is like one of the players that I always played with but we never or I just rarely talked with so when we both became staff I started to talk a lot more to them and it became so fun talking to them it's like everything they say is correct and they are never wrong somehow also whenever I am feeling down or sad they always show up and try to help me. 

@Vaxure- I never saw Vaxure senpai before but we end up learning commands from Erox senpai together so it was a nice way to meet and talk to them. little did I knew they are like the most helpful and reliable people around whenever I need help I always go to them because they always have a solution. 

@Leighray- I didn't talk to them for somedays when I joined but when I did finally talked to them I understood that they are one of the most fun people in this group and I like talking to them so much but they are usually busy and because of our timezone but every time I am with them it's really fun.

About the gm lead Erox

I always thought that Ero senpai who gave the community so much and made music that I can hear 24/7 is so cool but I thought maybe after I become staff they will get more strict toward me so I can learn how to be a good gm but that wasn't the case at all after talking to them I felt like Wow They are the coolest and most chill person around being with the most fun and you feel a sense of security while you are with them. I sometimes get annoying toward Ero senpai and ask for stuff all the time like I even asked about can I make this post to them for some reason. 

Player behavior toward me 

I can notice that many players treat me very differently than before after I became a staff member and give me more respect. Also whenever I show up in any village I get a lot of attention and everyone starts attacking me. For the most part, Everyone has been nice to me other than one certain player but I think they will understand after a while why I did what I did and they will let it go.

Do I want to become a player again or leave the nin online staff?

Sometimes being a GM can be boring and seeing all your friends having fun while you just stand can be sad sometimes and because of that I do think of going back as a player but at the same time the new staff team is so fun and I enjoy being with them so much that I think I should stay gm for a long time and try to give everyone a nice experience. 

Toxic response and backlash 

This is a common thing that comes with being a gm and happens a lot whether if you ban someone, disqualify someone, give a rare prize and not announcing event all of this give you toxic reply from players but I kinda understand where they are coming from and respects it so I can become better at this but sometimes they go a little overboard and act toxic toward me with every way possible I wish players would first talk to me so maybe if I am wrong I can get it and not repeat it. 

Things I think I should improve on

-Getting more confidence.

-Not asking about everything.

-Not be afraid of a player who is trying to bully me.

-Try to get more diversity in the events I do and make a lot more new ones.

you doing good job :)

13 hours ago, Gilgamesh said:

If a lot of things cleared your own frustrations about the game do you not think the staff being more transparent with the playerbase going further would improve general reception for decisions and updates?

Honestly a good question but I feel like they gonna ignore that question

13 hours ago, Tenken said:

no offense but you guys are clowns not everyone who stands up to gms is bullying you guys some have legitimate reasoning behind them and you guys walk around with inflated egos after the gm boost thinking people like you it's just the title mate enjoy it and do your best its not that serious

Sometimes the GMs are in the wrong sometimes the players, Thing is when the players are in the wrong they get punished but when the GMs are in the wrong they tend to get away with shit more often which makes it tuff and like what Tenken said SOME gms be walking with those inflated egos being carefree about being able to make mistakes without punishment.

8 minutes ago, Insidious said:

https://streamable.com/e6ag18

.... that ain't right i'm ngl, stick to DBE, and tournaments, these kind of events aren't for you imo because its too difficult not to be unbiased

that a players vs gm fight you are supost to kill the gm he is going to fight back youjust got mad you lost .Ask emiya and erox how those events go .

Just now, ana primal said:

that a players vs gm fight you are supost to kill the gm he is going to fight back youjust got mad you lost .Ask emiya and erox how those events go .

lmao of course out of all people to reply, it's you.

I'm not mad about the loss, i'm mad about the unfair treatment, if you watch the whole fight he was not using jutsu like that against other players. He saw us, focused us in a way where we could do nothing about it and took us out of the event because of that.

If he did this to every other player he focused, it would be ok, but this was not the case.

1 minute ago, ana primal said:

i did i know what happen you did a player vs gm fight and you guysprobably started killing each other then the gm , the point of that even is to work with all players to ill the gm

you obviously didn't watch it hahahaha me and boo just ran around the entire time avoiding the others doing their FFA, we only did damage when we knew we could hit and run

1 minute ago, Insidious said:

lmao of course out of all people to reply, it's you.

I'm not mad about the loss, i'm mad about the unfair treatment, if you watch the whole fight he was not using jutsu like that against other players. He saw us, focused us in a way where we could do nothing about it and took us out of the event because of that.

If he did this to every other player he focused, it would be ok, but this was not the case.

the clip is hardly long there is no content  only you dying he might have focused the other or shoot the attack randomly a 10 sec clip proves little to anything if you recorded the whole fight with proof he only target you and not a 10 sec clip you might have a case.

1 minute ago, Insidious said:

you obviously didn't watch it hahahaha me and boo just ran around the entire time avoiding the others doing their FFA, we only did damage when we knew we could hit and run

the clip show him movie and hitting you when you f up and got caught in a corner.

My only request that people realize not every criticism to a GM is toxicity. A lot of players have valid frustrations against GMs, and the GM will just brush it off like "this specific player hates me, so I can't do anything about that" when the GM can actually put forth the effort to talk to the person to give closure, and they can apologize on their part. 
When a GM does make a mistake, I've only ever seen defense mechanisms pull through, like "I am being targeted as a GM so I'll just not respond", or they'll make some sort of a public statement where they give their reasons as to why they did it as if that is enough justification; not frequently do I see a genuine apology. They just kinda huddle with the other GMs and protect each other like a group.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hao said:

My only request that people realize not every criticism to a GM is toxicity. A lot of players have valid frustrations against GMs, and the GM will just brush it off like "this specific player hates me, so I can't do anything about that" when the GM can actually put forth the effort to talk to the person to give closure, and they can apologize on their part. 
When a GM does make a mistake, I've only ever seen defense mechanisms pull through, like "I am being targeted as a GM so I'll just not respond", or they'll make some sort of a public statement where they give their reasons as to why they did it as if that is enough justification; not frequently do I see a genuine apology. They just kinda huddle with the other GMs and protect each other like a group.

++++++

53 minutes ago, Hao said:

depend on who is criticing him and with what proof .