Advanced Masteries is cancelled

Ueda

Dear Ninja,

Someone said something about how I'm taking forever to release advanced mastery and hence that nothing is being done.

I've said this many times since that development timeline was made mentioning that we were going to start working on it in 2018 that we're NOT currently working on Advanced Masteries and have not been for years. There are bigger priorities at the moment than expanding the game content further vertically. We are lacking in major features, lacking in our core technologies for more expansion and we're focused on reworking major systems of the game like Organizations.

Advanced Masteries has been on hold in terms of development since around a year after that dev log was made. Since then we have released the 3rd faction of the game, clans, summons, toad village, land of iron, remade the entire game in C# & modern technologies, added hundreds of items, dozens of new mobs, a new mastery.

Plans change. If you're using when one specific feature that we've specifically said has been not the development focus for years as the benchmark of what is progress for the game. You will be sorely disappointed.

As of today, to make it plain and simple, Advanced Masteries is cancelled. It will not be happening. Don't wait for it. If that is the thing that keeps you going, don't let it be.

EDIT: 

Nothings changed. We've not been working on Advanced Masteries the way people have been hyping for years now. We've been focusing on reworking the entire game so that when we eventually work on expanding content vertically, it will be worth expanding.

The problem is as we were working on Advanced Masteries we were tasked with creating hundreds of new jutsu, it became apparent - everything new being made was just a scaled up reskin of jutsu that already exists with bigger hitboxes or more damage. This wasn't fun. The reason we're reworking the entire game's engine is so we can add more features to it so jutsu aren't just reskins of each other.

The reason I announced that Advanced Masteries is cancelled is because the amount of hype people have been having is unproportioned to what it would've been if we just "hurry and released advanced masteries" like a lot of people want. Instead, over the past 3 years we've increased content in other ways besides just adding further linear progression to higher levels, we've expanded content by adding more ways you can make your own ninja unique by introducing clans and summons for example which will be two other ways players will be able to build their character differently.

Advanced Masteries in the way that was announced in 2018 and soon after stopped being worked on is cancelled. Any further content progression will be something entirely different and is being worked on from the ground up with the new capabilities of the new engine in mind and has always been, but will not be what we announced back then.

Regards,
Ueda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 2

Good call.

Vertical power creep is often the painkiller people want for boredom, but not the treatment the game actually needs to stay active. The game's progress will be better served by consolidating the existing content: expanding on village functionality, Orgs, the leveling process and PvP systems, to name a few.

The Advanced hype would die out in a month and then people are back to complaining about the same issues that weren't fixed because dealing with Advanced takes up all the development time. One day though, it will be time for another level-cap increase and new jutsu along with it.

• Like 4

Ok , anyway that wasnt great idea , but still i am thinking isnt bad idea do some new Jutsu for masteries . Also when doesnt come advanced , still Is in plan combination like lava , Storm , dark , sakura .. Asuma ... Raikage ... Sasuke style combinations... And many more. Also i spending time waiting more on combination not like advanced :D but i am sad about some people which do only fire because want advanced. Thats life anyway , nevermind... I will waiting on more content like clan jutsus , housing , and who knows what comes , because we have only 3 villages in game.

NT.gif

Welp. That was the one thing that kept me going for so long, kinda feels bad that it was all just for nothing. Time to slowly pack things up, already played or seen every mastery there is to play, PvE content lackluster as it is. What a mess.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Souei said:

Welp. That was the one thing that kept me going for so long, kinda feels bad that it was all just for nothing. Time to slowly pack things up, already played or seen every mastery there is to play, PvE content lackluster as it is. What a mess.

And yet again more people missing the point: Nothings changed. We've not been working on Advanced Masteries the way people have been hyping for years now. We've been focusing on reworking the entire game so that when we eventually work on expanding content vertically, it will be worth expanding.

The problem is as we were working on Advanced Masteries we were tasked with creating hundreds of new jutsu, it became apparent - everything new being made was just a scaled up reskin of jutsu that already exists with bigger hitboxes or more damage. This wasn't fun. The reason we're reworking the entire game's engine is so we can add more features to it so jutsu aren't just reskins of each other.

The reason I announced that Advanced Masteries is cancelled is because the amount of hype people have been having is unproportional to what it would've been if we just "hurry and released advanced masteries" like a lot of people want. Instead, over the past 3 years we've increased content in other ways besides just adding further linear progression to higher levels, we've expanded content by adding more ways you can make your own ninja unique by introducing clans and summons for example which will be two other ways players will be able to build their character differently.

Advanced Masteries in the way that was announced in 2018 and soon after stopped being worked on is cancelled. Any further content progression will be something entirely different and is being worked on from the ground up with the new capabilities of the new engine in mind and has always been, but will not be what we announced back then.

• Like 2
  • Boring 1

It's okay Rory nobody wanted advanced masteries anyway, we all believe in your vision, do what you think is best.

Personally, I never really cared much for advanced masteries and am looking forward to more exciting features such as player housing aswell as spending a couple hundred dollars on cash shop furniture (Add an adult Sasuke statue we can keep in our house pl0x!). Keep up the good work! xoxo

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

2 hours ago, Ueda said:

And yet again more people missing the point: Nothings changed. We've not been working on Advanced Masteries the way people have been hyping for years now. We've been focusing on reworking the entire game so that when we eventually work on expanding content vertically, it will be worth expanding.

The reason I announced that Advanced Masteries is cancelled is because the amount of hype people have been having is unproportional to what it would've been if we just "hurry and released advanced masteries" like a lot of people want. Instead, over the past 3 years we've increased content in other ways besides just adding further linear progression to higher levels, we've expanded content by adding more ways you can make your own ninja unique by introducing clans and summons for example which will be two other ways players will be able to build their character differently.

Just lost in translation, no problem!

• Boring 1

Hope this doesn't cause a playerbase backlash. Lot of people been waiting on advanced under the implications it's been worked on whereas your GM's go around testing the jutsu out. Only time will tell, I hope things work out for the best and this announcement doesn't have the effect many fear it will.

• Thanks 1

ehh i won't believe they are cancelled, I'll believe they've been put aside for couple years until the game has more mechanics to handle a variety of different jutsus as the game is right now all new jutsus would somewhat look like jutsus we already have as rory said.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ueda said:

maybe next time you could tell you stopped working on it when u stopped not 5 years later :eyes:

that way ppl wont be hypying it for years

• Thanks 3
  • Funny 2

Well, it's a little disapointing, but I think advanced masteries were going to narrow the gameplay to just some few usable masteries. Once I learnt about advaced, I was discouraged from choosing wm/med. So all in all, the decision it's sad and relieving at the same time (at least now I feel free to choose the combination I like most :D).

• Like 1
  • Boring 1

This post should have happened maximum a year after that 2018 post. As I fully understand where you are going and why it is best to work on other stuff, I feel like we have been hyped and missled by you. We are not a big community and we are the core reason of why Nin Online is still a thing. Yet you kept the truth from us for years.

We know very little of what you are planing and why certain things are the way they are even tho most of us, this precious community, cant understand the reasoning without answers.

Many jutsu's are the way they currently are because of advanced and many in game unbalance were unchanged because of advanced. Advanced were the reasoning behind lots of things that didnt make sence to us. But we waited because advanced masteries were suppose to be the answer to our many questions.

We endured true unbalance and a medical ninja pandemic because things were supposed to be set for the future balance. It was only natural for us to spam you and question you about advanced masteries. I know this was annoying, but if you had said the truth from the begining, for my part I wouldnt feel lied.

As for now, since the advanced are cancelled, it would be nice if the in game pvp balance is not based around the future and actually based around what it is currently.

Yours truly, Nin Online lover and addict since 2015, Indra. 

• Like 22

6 hours ago, Indra said:

Many jutsu's are the way they currently are because of advanced and many in game unbalance were unchanged because of advanced. Advanced were the reasoning behind lots of things that didnt make sence to us. But we waited because advanced masteries were suppose to be the answer to our many questions.

We endured true unbalance and a medical ninja pandemic because things were supposed to be set for the future balance. It was only natural for us to spam you and question you about advanced masteries. I know this was annoying, but if you had said the truth from the begining, for my part I wouldnt feel lied.

As for now, since the advanced are cancelled, it would be nice if the in game pvp balance is not based around the future and actually based around what it is currently.

Wow, I hadn't even considered this option.

It's true that a lot of peoples masteries were picked around advanced.

And that we had answers from rory about how combinations would get advanced as recently as a few months ago.

I have to admit that even as a player for a year it's frustrating to have had advanced be the reason for a lot of things being the way they are without ever really knowing what's going on behind the scenes.

I can only imagine for longer term players or players who have made plenty of accounts just for advanced (I've only made one earth wind for the sand advanced but I know people who have made 20 accounts in anticipation)

At the end of the day it really does just feel like a transparency issue.

Like what is being worked on right now?

Player housing? But what will player housing add to the game on a more long term thoughtplan?

As players we tend to have no idea about what's going on except for vague ideas and I think that's the most debilitating thing.

• Like 5

Its like building a tower. You can't just jump straight to the top and not make sure the base is strong and sturdy. It will just fall over. Gotta have the base stuff down packed. The code, server, client all that needs to be near perfect before they can move up to advanced masteries. Advanced masteries is more of a "New Expansion" type thing but first the core needs to be strong. <3<3<3 

• Like 1

I've been transparent all this while.
People saying I've kept this from people for years. I've not mentioned that we were working on it all this while. I've in fact been saying the opposite.

Everything I say in this community is lost in the void and at the end of the day, any form of communication just seems like a mistake.
Every criticism put towards me, is appalling to me because I've specifically addressed all those things and responded to all those questions, many times on streams, in announcements, in discord all these years. Nothing gets through, everyone's been self-hyping this for years despite my best attempts at telling people not to. This is my attempt at making it clear. It's only resulted it hate, and I'm done with that. Things are going to change in that regard.

image.png

• Like 5

• Ueda locked this topic