Summons in Tournaments

Slifer

Question

I have always wondered why summons are not allowed to be used in tournaments, and are generally frowned upon in every 1v1 situation in spars and even in danger zones. Here are a few reasons I've heard why they aren't allowed. 

- They are too strong

- They offer an unfair advantage over players that don't have one

- They are not easy to obtain

These three reasons can be used to describe other things that ARE allowed in tournaments. Those being the end game weapons. Mainly the swords from Land of Iron and the hammer from Kraken. These are very strong, offer an unfair advantage over players that don't have them, and are not easy to obtain. In fact, I'd say they are exponentially more difficult to obtain than a summon. They obviously should NOT be banned from tournaments, just like summons. Players should be able to use the jutsu or weapons they are able to work so hard to learn or obtain. 

Now, there is one reason that I think may be the only one that makes sense. Not all villages have the same summons available, so it's not fair in that regard. Well, there's a glaring similarity with another thing in regards to that criticism. Hidden masteries. Leaf is the only village that can have gentle fist, does that make it unfair to use in tournaments? Mist ninja have access to a bubble pipe, which is arguably the best support tool for every single mastery. Should they be banned from tournaments? Of course not! The uniqueness of each village should be embraced, not discouraged. This goes with masteries, weapons, and should go with summons as well. 

I haven't heard any other arguments really besides these. I'd gladly discuss any other reason the GMs or players have for not wanting summons in tournaments. Thanks. 

• Like 9

14 answers to this question

The point of not allowing Summons is because Tournaments are supposed to be about YOUR strength over everyone else, not about what Corp youre in or what summon you have.

Summons = a Familiar, meaning another entity fighting alongside you... that doesnt sound like youre fighting with all YOUR strength now does it.
Thats the same reason why we dont allow Pill's, Oil's, or Corp Items. (Nb4 people say it, nah Swords and weapons are supposed to be an extension of YOUR body.)

I dont mind Making a "no bars" style Tournament where all of this is allowed but i guarantee a majority of those who participate will complain.

its simple. if ur a mistie u have an unfair advantage over anyone else in this game cause ur summons are the top tier summons  in the game.
Secondly summons arent exactly consistent they are mostly reng based since the coding is so buggy its a mechanic that doesnt work too well in 1v1s and shines more in teamfights.
Thirdly because some combos with sumons are 2 broken. if a light user has a panda and the opposite ninja gets stunned by the panda its over. the light user gonna get a full combo.
And fourth but not least. 1v1s with summons arent fun cause it takes away from the skill involving in 1v1s.
the suggestion isnt bad but its not really what people want.

5 minutes ago, South said:

its simple. if ur a mistie u have an unfair advantage over anyone else in this game cause ur summons are the top tier summons  in the game.
Secondly summons arent exactly consistent they are mostly reng based since the coding is so buggy its a mechanic that doesnt work too well in 1v1s and shines more in teamfights.
Thirdly because some combos with sumons are 2 broken. if a light user has a panda and the opposite ninja gets stunned by the panda its over. the light user gonna get a full combo.
And fourth but not least. 1v1s with summons arent fun cause it takes away from the skill involving in 1v1s.

ping and masteries >>>>>>><<skill it been proven with summons it more fun because it a unpreditable card.

6 minutes ago, South said:

If you're a mistie, you have an unfair advantage over anyone else because you have a pipe. 

Summons aren't consistent, correct. They can be very very useless for the person that summoned them. A risk you have to calculate if you want to use it or not. 

Some combos are broken with just 1 player. This isn't an argument. If a lightning earth user with a pipe hits with lightning cutter, the opponent can be stunned for life. 

Summons do not take away any skill involved any more than any other things take away skill. OP swords dealing 100 per melee don't take anything away, undodgable flicker combos don't take anything away, ungodly long stuns don't take anything away, running around waiting for subs to come back up doesn't take anything away. You have to be able to fight against many changing conditions in every fight, this just adds another one. 

• Like 3

If they can be used in the regular game-play, it should be allowed in the tournaments. How can it be fair in one and not the other. And honestly it takes up a jutsu slot for something else you could have got.

If something is broken it should be fixed. Need to keep everything consistent, not just apply rules/advantages/disadvantages for one village/mastery.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Erox said:

The point of not allowing Summons is because Tournaments are supposed to be about YOUR strength over everyone else, not about what Corp youre in or what summon you have.

Summons = a Familiar, meaning another entity fighting alongside you... that doesnt sound like youre fighting with all YOUR strength now does it.

I assume this is the 2v1 argument, basically. To a point, I can see how it is desirable to have a purely "1 entity vs 1 entity" fight. To judge one's strict ability vs another. I do not think that having the option of summoning affects this as drastically as most people assume. If it were the case that each player could start out with their summon, like Kiba and Akamaru in the anime, then yes I would lean on that being more of a 2v1 or 2v2. (And to be honest I think that is a pretty cool idea to try out regardless of this topic's point). However, I think the long cast requirement and chakra cost of summoning changes this massively. It is not a simple thing, to summon in the middle of a 1 on 1 fight in a closed map like the tournament maps or sparring arenas. You have to really pressure your opponent, force their distance, gauge their chakra, and keep track of their canceling abilities, all in order to have a chance at attempting to summon. This, if anything, adds MORE to the point of finding out which person is the better fighter. It gives them more to think about in the fight, and more to calculate, while keeping things still within the realms of a fair 1 on 1 duel. If you're able to cast summoning jutsu successfully, that only shows that you were able to outplay your opponent in that regard. It is still not a guaranteed win, by any means. I've seen many players die in 1v1s with their summons ALREADY out, not even having to summon them, and still lose. I've been the guy on both ends of that equation. 

I think it is very important to remember that getting your summon out really is a gamble, like casting self heal with medics. You are just a sitting duck. It is not by any means a guarantee, and could VERY easily get you in a much worse situation than you would've been if you never tried at all. This is a risk that players will have to accurately gauge in the heat of the moment if it's worth taking for the reward. 

8 hours ago, Erox said:

Thats the same reason why we dont allow Pill's, Oil's, or Corp Items. (Nb4 people say it, nah Swords and weapons are supposed to be an extension of YOUR body.)

I dont mind Making a "no bars" style Tournament where all of this is allowed but i guarantee a majority of those who participate will complain.

"Summons = a Familiar, meaning another entity fighting alongside you... that doesnt sound like youre fighting with all YOUR strength now does it.
Thats the same reason why we dont allow Pill's, Oil's, or Corp Items. (Nb4 people say it, nah Swords and weapons are supposed to be an extension of YOUR body.)"

that not a argument if loi sword can be used, lv 30  vs lv +50 can fight each other where the case is  close on who will  lose plus ping and mastery carry this game so  the that . summon are part of your jutsu and anybody can have it  it give ppl who dont have good ping or have low lv a chane ot be better same way it buff the op ppl summon where never illegal lore wise   in naruto.

On 9/7/2021 at 2:28 PM, anteprs said:

"Summons = a Familiar, meaning another entity fighting alongside you... that doesnt sound like youre fighting with all YOUR strength now does it.
Thats the same reason why we dont allow Pill's, Oil's, or Corp Items. (Nb4 people say it, nah Swords and weapons are supposed to be an extension of YOUR body.)"

that not a argument if loi sword can be used, lv 30  vs lv +50 can fight each other where the case is  close on who will  lose plus ping and mastery carry this game so  the that . summon are part of your jutsu and anybody can have it  it give ppl who dont have good ping or have low lv a chane ot be better same way it buff the op ppl summon where never illegal lore wise   in naruto.

can't rly understand but i agree

I personally wouldnt want to see summons into tournaments but that may be just me. 

Those events are made so we test our own skills and see who comes victorious. Adding npc fighting would make the whole a bit based on luck in my opinion.

There could be events with no restriction tho.