Feels like old server

Ainz Ooal Gown

Question

Since around the time the housing update was dropped and new features were added in the server has had this creep of delay. 
Day 1 : Slight delay no one really notices
Day 2: Increased delay but people think it's their internet
Day 3 : Delay is definitely here, skipping tiles, jutsu's not coming out
Day 4: Server turns into old server where using 2 jutsus in conjunction of each other will make u snare
Day 5 : Unplayable. 

So it's been like this for the past...3 weeks. Now yes we know that we need to survive through it so the dev team can find the source of the problem but for a temporary solution a server restart every 5 days is needed. The game becomes playable for 4 days after the restart and then the above^ starts to happen.

Please, we made the move to the new server and all that hard work over 9 months to what? suffer through this horrible delay?

I ask that we are atleast kept up to date about what's going on to fix the issue + server restarts to accomodate. 
Thank you for reading

• Like 15
  • Shocked 1

12 answers to this question

We're profiling the server to figure out what is causing the server to lag for players. From what we can tell, the process of loops where projectiles are processed is sometimes taking a long time to process. Which may cause up to 0.5s delays on some other processes.

Theres also a bunch of changes on how the client draws certain things which may accentuate how bad things feel when there's lag. We're actively working on making things more performant and seek your understanding.

That being said, I'll host the old server and client alongside the current one for awhile for people to experience what that actually is like in a couple of days. Things are often looked back at with cherry tinted goggles.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ainz Ooal Gown said:

Since around the time the housing update was dropped and new features were added in the server has had this creep of delay. 
Day 1 : Slight delay no one really notices
Day 2: Increased delay but people think it's their internet
Day 3 : Delay is definitely here, skipping tiles, jutsu's not coming out
Day 4: Server turns into old server where using 2 jutsus in conjunction of each other will make u snare
Day 5 : Unplayable. 

So it's been like this for the past...3 weeks. Now yes we know that we need to survive through it so the dev team can find the source of the problem but for a temporary solution a server restart every 5 days is needed. The game becomes playable for 4 days after the restart and then the above^ starts to happen.

Please, we made the move to the new server and all that hard work over 9 months to what? suffer through this horrible delay?

I ask that we are atleast kept up to date about what's going on to fix the issue + server restarts to accomodate. 
Thank you for reading

I live on such delay daily when i log to nin  trust me dont lose hope you all get used to it quick enoght .W8 for the best part guys when delay spikes happen you will love it so much it a once in a live time experience :)

5 hours ago, Ueda said:

That being said, I'll host the old server and client alongside the current one for awhile for people to experience what that actually is like in a couple of days. Things are often looked back at with cherry tinted goggles.

I understand this way of thinking. It is easy to think we just got used to it being very good after having problems for so long, but that is not what this situation is. It really is as bad if not worse than it's ever been. We aren't just being spoiled. It's not just .5 sec delays. It's whole seconds of freezing, skipping massive numbers of tiles, mobs like bears or wolves hitting you from long range, mobs standing still and hitting air but you take damage anyways no matter how far away, projectiles like kunai, fire bullets, water shark, being very VERY clearly far away from you after dodging and still hitting you if you walk up into their previous path, and many more. It isn't trivial complaining. It's arguably unplayable for most people. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ueda said:

We're profiling the server to figure out what is causing the server to lag for players. From what we can tell, the process of loops where projectiles are processed is sometimes taking a long time to process. Which may cause up to 0.5s delays on some other processes.

Theres also a bunch of changes on how the client draws certain things which may accentuate how bad things feel when there's lag. We're actively working on making things more performant and seek your understanding.

Appreciate the update and we'll be more patient!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slifer said:

I understand this way of thinking. It is easy to think we just got used to it being very good after having problems for so long, but that is not what this situation is. It really is as bad if not worse than it's ever been. We aren't just being spoiled. It's not just .5 sec delays. It's whole seconds of freezing, skipping massive numbers of tiles, mobs like bears or wolves hitting you from long range, mobs standing still and hitting air but you take damage anyways no matter how far away, projectiles like kunai, fire bullets, water shark, being very VERY clearly far away from you after dodging and still hitting you if you walk up into their previous path, and many more. It isn't trivial complaining. It's arguably unplayable for most people. 

Thing is right there you're talking about multiple separate issues. None of it is just "lag".

4 hours ago, Slifer said:

the server lag before more ppl just didnt play like on the old server this 9 months ppl been in heaven 

It's good to know that the issues are being uncovered and worked on. Whether it's lag or other forms of delay caused by server processes, the result is pretty much the same player-side.

Pre-smooth projectiles I was in awe of how much smoother the game had become. Whatever coding magic you guys did, it finally felt like the ping disadvantage was bearable (with Exitlag of course, because local ISPs are garbage). Just hoping we can get back to that performance soon.