Slow/Fast Paced Combat

Enver

Question

The pvp, lightly by design, is quite slower paced than most MMO's in my opinion, I really like MMO's where skill difference is very easy noticeable which right now is not really the case, unless ur fightning the top 5 players. Wouldnt it be cooler to have access to use jutsus over and over again instead of charging chakra half the fight time. 

1v1 can last over a minute if a good player fights a bad player.
2v2 can last over 2 minutes if good players fight bad players.
These changes will have effect on teamfights aswell.

These are my suggestions to make the combat more fast paced:

• Rebalanced Lightning Cutter
    2 Sec Cast Time -> 1.75 Sec Cast Time
    11 Tile Range -> 10 Tile Range
    2 Sec Stun Time -> 1.75 Sec Stun Time

• Rebalanced Earth Prison
    8 Tile Range -> 7 Tile Range

• Rebalanced Lightning Pillars
    2 Sec Cast Time -> 1.75 Sec Cast Time

• Rebalanced Substitution Technique
    7 Sec Effect -> 5 Sec Effect

• Chakra Regen
    Make it more noticeable the more chakra you have the faster u charge, it will make sense RP-wise aswell.

300 Chakra regens 15 Chakra, each tick is around 0.5sec

300 Chakra should regen +2+2+2+2+2+2+2 within 0.5sec

• Cooldowns
    It will take too long to write all the cooldown suggestions but almost all jutsus under 15 second cooldown should have 2 seconds less cooldown, 15-25 should have 4 seconds less cooldown 25+ should have 6 seconds less cooldown.
    This is just an idea, this will require a lot of time to balance everything out. (Not all jutsus ofcourse)

Let me know what you think.

• Like 3

13 answers to this question

In my opinion, fights dont last long enough. Yall want to play call of duty and kill your enemies with your sets of macro's that spams the shit out of your jutsu pool. This is not fun at all.

It looks like you're asking 30 sec fights which really doesnt make any sense in a naruto universe. We are here because we want epic naruto style fights. Us dying faster to others would just make the game less epic and skill based. There is already flicker that wrongly and forcefully speed up the pace of the game.

There would be less thinking and strategy because you would only need to spam and hope that the target dies before you.

Medics would also lose their importance as healers because faster figths would just make group fights a real stupid bloodfest that a med who DOES HEAL have less chances to survive or heal allies before they die. Reviving faint ninja during fights would also be more dangerous. (Did i just defend medics...?)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Indra said:

In my opinion, fights dont last long enough. Yall want to play call of duty and kill your enemies with your sets of macro's that spams the shit out of your jutsu pool. This is not fun at all.

It looks like you're asking 30 sec fights which really doesnt make any sense in a naruto universe. We are here because we want epic naruto style fights. Us dying faster to others would just make the game less epic and skill based. There is already flicker that wrongly and forcefully speed up the pace of the game.

There would be less thinking and strategy because you would only need to spam and hope that the target dies before you.

Medics would also lose their importance as healers because faster figths would just make group fights a real stupid bloodfest that a med who DOES HEAL have less chances to survive or heal allies before they die. Reviving faint ninja during fights would also be more dangerous. (Did i just defend medics...?)

Its not really a epic naruto style fight when 25% of the fight ur charging chakra and 25% looking for opportunities to cast jutsus, this suggestion makes that 25% of both sides less. In the anime they dont even charge at all.

It wouldnt be less thinking, counting your opponents cooldowns still work this way.

With the recent chakra charge updates medics shouldnt have a problem with it at all. first of all they get less cooldown on their heals by like 2 seconds. And second they can keep charging to get cooldowns off. third: I mentioned faster chakra charging in the suggestion aswell, this counts on the charging to get cooldowns off aswell.\

If Madara fights TenTen, the fight will be over in 10 seconds.

As someone who has played the game for a long time, I have played in time when the game was very fast paced and a single stun that was very easy to land would make you lose a fight. It wasn't really fun to play back then and it barely took much skill to be good.

I personally like that the game has since then been balanced to be slower and more tactical since it's much more enjoyable to play when it is like this.
When you get hit by something like Lightning Cutter you know it's cause you didn't counter it well, not because it has a fast cast time you can do nothing about. 

I don't think cooldowns should be shorter since they are already fairly short and now you can even reduce them by overcharging. In large scale fights it would become too chaotic if people could cast things too often.

34 minutes ago, Indra said:

@Enver Maybe you played so much that you are TOO used of the current speed. Aka you played so much you got to feel its boring.

I dont play as much as before but the speed is  too slow if you are used to it on my level, having faster paced combat will make the skill-cap higher.

18 minutes ago, Bubbly said:

As someone who has played the game for a long time, I have played in time when the game was very fast paced and a single stun that was very easy to land would make you lose a fight. It wasn't really fun to play back then and it barely took much skill to be good.

I personally like that the game has since then been balanced to be slower and more tactical since it's much more enjoyable to play when it is like this.
When you get hit by something like Lightning Cutter you know it's cause you didn't counter it well, not because it has a fast cast time you can do nothing about. 

I don't think cooldowns should be shorter since they are already fairly short and now you can even reduce them by overcharging. In large scale fights it would become too chaotic if people could cast things too often.

I dont think u get what I mean at all, this suggestion wouldnt make a huge impact as u describe.

The game never had fast paced combat, im assuming you mean the time where jutsus would do almost 150 damage. This isnt the same at all.

10 minutes ago, Enver said:

I dont play as much as before but the speed is  too slow if you are used to it on my level, having faster paced combat will make the skill-cap higher.

I dont think u get what I mean at all, this suggestion wouldnt make a huge impact as u describe.

The game never had fast paced combat, im assuming you mean the time where jutsus would do almost 150 damage. This isnt the same at all.

It's you who doesn't get what I mean. 
A lot of the jutsu which are cast time now were instant back then, stuff like Cutter was 1 second cast, cooldowns on jutsu were shorter.
All of it got changed for a reason.

7 minutes ago, Bubbly said:

It's you who doesn't get what I mean. 
A lot of the jutsu which are cast time now were instant back then, stuff like Cutter was 1 second cast, cooldowns on jutsu were shorter.
All of it got changed for a reason.

Its not the same game anymore, people would teleport from tile to tile. How can u get a high skill-cap in that kind of game. On top of that u didnt mention the damage scalings back then, nowhere close to what they are now.

This is probably one of the worst suggestions I've seen on this forum and I have to congratulate you. Lightning is one of the best jutsu in the game because it's one of the few jutsu that have a guaranteed 7 combo string with lightning cutter. Reducing the cast time will make it impossible to dodge and will create guaranteed damage of over 700 damage just from a single jutsu.

Nerfing Earth Prison while buffing Lightning Cutter and Lightning Pillars is pretty stupid. Instead I'd suggest changing the way targeting works in the game and allowing Earth Pillar to snare less people and instead base it on who is being targeted by the player. Rebalance to Substitution is also another bad suggestion. If you're looking to buff lightning which includes 3 homing techniques and you're complaining about Replacement I think you should instead focus on your own gameplay as that's the issue.

1. I don't think your explanation of what you want the entire experience to be reflects what your proposed changes will actually do

2. It's intended for fights to last a bit longer. Charging time is also not to make fights slower pace, it's there both as a tactical break - yes. But it is also a way to make chakra management, chakra stat and cooldown times into more than just down time, but a way to punish the enemy if you are good at those things and give you an edge.

3. The more chakra you have, the faster you charge because it's a flat percentage. 10% of 100 chakra is 10 chakra but 10% of 1000 chakra is 100 chakra. Making it also faster is exponential and it's horrible to balance exponentials.

4. "If Madara fights TenTen, the fight will be over in 10 seconds." The point of the entire Naruto series (at least the parts that are enjoyable) is that ninja use their brains not their power levels to fight. It's not DBZ where you just compare your power levels that way. Shikamaru is weaker than most ninja in every way but has good tactics and wins ninja with much more power than him with tactics and 1 jutsu. It'd be horrible balance if high level ninja just face rolled low level ninjas all the time. The amazing thing is that we've gotten to a point in balancing where a level 60 could still potentially lose to someone almost half his level in a 1v1 battle with skill difference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Arashi said:

This is probably one of the worst suggestions I've seen on this forum and I have to congratulate you. Lightning is one of the best jutsu in the game because it's one of the few jutsu that have a guaranteed 7 combo string with lightning cutter. Reducing the cast time will make it impossible to dodge and will create guaranteed damage of over 700 damage just from a single jutsu.

Nerfing Earth Prison while buffing Lightning Cutter and Lightning Pillars is pretty stupid. Instead I'd suggest changing the way targeting works in the game and allowing Earth Pillar to snare less people and instead base it on who is being targeted by the player. Rebalance to Substitution is also another bad suggestion. If you're looking to buff lightning which includes 3 homing techniques and you're complaining about Replacement I think you should instead focus on your own gameplay as that's the issue.

Trust me, my gameplay isnt the issue. You can pull up whenever u feel like u wanna lose.

Reducing the cast time and nerf the tile range amount, how does this make it impossible to dodge? It will require better reaction time to cancel Cutter because u have less time, right now its too easy, even for new players.

14 hours ago, Ueda said:

1. I don't think your explanation of what you want the entire experience to be reflects what your proposed changes will actually do

Making the combat more fast paced, this includes getting a higher skill-cap on cancels because you will have less reaction time and change the charging system.

14 hours ago, Ueda said:

2. It's intended for fights to last a bit longer. Charging time is also not to make fights slower pace, it's there both as a tactical break - yes. But it is also a way to make chakra management, chakra stat and cooldown times into more than just down time, but a way to punish the enemy if you are good at those things and give you an edge.

14 hours ago, Ueda said:

3. The more chakra you have, the faster you charge because it's a flat percentage. 10% of 100 chakra is 10 chakra but 10% of 1000 chakra is 100 chakra. Making it also faster is exponential and it's horrible to balance exponentials.

The points you made are indeed true, with my suggestion these points will still be included. This is how I would make the chakra charge:

300 Chakra regent 15 Chakra each tick which is around 0.5sec

300 Chakra should regen +2+2+2+2+2+2+2 within 0.5sec

This way it will still work the same but will make it more fast paced.
Only negative point I have is the audio and animations it will make. (Both are possible to be changed)

14 hours ago, Ueda said:

4. "If Madara fights TenTen, the fight will be over in 10 seconds." The point of the entire Naruto series (at least the parts that are enjoyable) is that ninja use their brains not their power levels to fight. It's not DBZ where you just compare your power levels that way. Shikamaru is weaker than most ninja in every way but has good tactics and wins ninja with much more power than him with tactics and 1 jutsu. It'd be horrible balance if high level ninja just face rolled low level ninjas all the time. The amazing thing is that we've gotten to a point in balancing where a level 60 could still potentially lose to someone almost half his level in a 1v1 battle with skill difference.

True.

I know my opinion is barely weights anything, because I don't spend much time in a barely working pvp system. Not because its designed poorly, but more like, it lacks essential tweaks. Which is why I agree with the confusion of pace. 

It's the same answer everytime I ask for hints. You want to fight? Punish mistakes. It makes sense but.. what if the system itself has a huge mistake?

With all the homing stuns and only one actual basic way to evade it, its just.. lame? We call ourself Ninjas with great abilities, great enough to lead or beat villages, but we can't even block or dodge. Its a one-time sub against a silly amount of homings.

I think its a difficult topic to come up with, since pace is not the issue. '-' Thought I share my view, because why not. ._.