Questlines should be more of a challenge, and provide the player with less information.

Atrane

Question

I think a good idea for future quest lines is that they should not spoon feed the player with so much information and be more of a mystery on how to complete. For example a lot of quests are just simple grinds for an exp payout like farming 100 penguin beaks in order to complete.

Imagine a quest line that is added and the only information we have is a patch note saying it has been added to the game. We don't even know the starting point and finding it is part of the fun. Examples of this could be a new npc to search for in the world, or a drop from a mob that needs to be returned to its owner. Each step of the quest line should introduce a new mystery to be solved, and difficulty can vary based on what the end reward is.

This can also facilitate roleplay, since most groups who find the information would most likely want to keep it safe from their rivals. Information itself can become a currency that's to be used within the world.

Pretty much, a problem I have heard from Ueda is that content cannot be created fast enough because players power through it so quickly. Quest lines with this approach take a more time to solve than an npc stationed in the mission room who teleports you to a map with linear progression. Also, these types of quest lines would facilitate more movement throughout the game world and help to create more activity in the danger zones. Players would have to spend more time exploring and testing new theories.

Some examples:

• Certain mob drops a letter or document, player can open the document to reveal a message that gives a hint towards who the author or recipient is, talking to that npc while holding the document triggers new dialogue and sets you out on a journey.
  • An npc mentions something about needing a sword to defend themselves, but without mentioning how that sword is obtained. It could be dropped from something, it could be crafted from collecting materials, etc. The point is that its a mystery rather than telling the player directly what they need.

These examples are meant to illustrate the idea that I am trying to present, I hope that future development takes it into consideration to help breathe some life back into the game. Thanks for reading.

• Like 10

15 answers to this question

Holy molly id love this i've played so many games with these types of quests n trying to find out everything  without  being fed infos is so much fun

Kinda like valheim @Atrane we kinda had to try out everything  and experience  everything first hand 

This would surely  open a new path for RP in the game tbh @Atrane the best thing to do is try to create a quest example like that for rory so he has a better idea of what exactly this is about 

18 minutes ago, Rikkuto said:

No, this is the opposite of what we want. We don't want another LOI with no descriptions. Hardly anyone besides the buffed cliques have completed LOI to this day.

This is nothing like LOI which was a pretty str8 foward quest line it was just mad tedious cuz everything was so tanky n u had to kill so many of them 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fax. The quest are so linear to the point where in the Train arc when you have to gamble to get back the keys I was like “Oh this is unique.” Lol but in reality it’s not just all the quest are cut and print. Hope Rory does take this idea and make something interesting.

• Thanks 1

This is would be a killer idea for Events (Holiday, etc.) where the mystery and hunt for rewards actually makes sense. The problem with doing quests like this is it gets completed once, and immediately goes on the Wiki and then all that happens is people do the quest with two screens, exactly like Runescape.

But if the Halloween event was a prop hunt started off by reading a Bloody Letter and finding clues, that would be cool. People would run around the world completing tasks instead of farming Big Scarabs for 3 weeks straight. Real activity.

• Like 1

No, this is the opposite of what we want. We don't want another LOI with no descriptions. Hardly anyone besides the buffed cliques have completed LOI to this day.

Land of Waves was a great addition to the game. It has story, it is actually doable for the level range, and it is a safe zone so Akat doesn't just ring up and target 1 hp players. If you want more out of these arcs, there can simply be more missions added.

It would be okay to have one kind of hide n seek mission quest-line like what bandits was looking to do, but do not make everything like what LOI is with being the repetitive grind of aggro mobs that do 400 dmg each in a DZ w/ 100 ryo charge and their annoying drop rates.

3 minutes ago, Rikkuto said:

Land of Waves was a great addition to the game. It has story, it is actually doable for the level range, and it is a safe zone so Akat doesn't just ring up and target 1 hp players. If you want more out of these arcs, there can simply be more missions added.

It would be okay to have one kind of hide n seek mission quest-line like what bandits was looking to do, but do not make everything like what LOI is with being the repetitive grind of aggro mobs that do 400 dmg each in a DZ w/ 100 ryo charge and their annoying drop rates.

Loi is actually extremely spoon fed and linear, theres no mystery to be solved lol

Also i specifically mentioned for these things to be in the core world, not branched off content like toad/iron/train arc

Just now, Atrane said:

Loi is actually extremely spoon fed and linear, theres no mystery to be solved lol

Exactly its legit helping the villagers to overthrow the loi leader, and good luck doing it solo. Especially as a non elemental

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chaotic said:

Exactly its legit helping the villagers to overthrow the loi leader, and good luck doing it solo. Especially as a non elemental

I hate it. LOI needs fixing.

18 minutes ago, Atrane said:

Also i specifically mentioned for these things to be in the core world, not branched off content like toad/iron/train arc

My point is, I don't mind using clues/descriptions to solve a new questline. It would be fun. But it still needs a good story. And it can't be in a setting like LOI with OP mobs, little drops, and players hovering to take your last hp from you.

• Like 2

Nobody wants to look for clues or spend a lot of time on a questline. As long as the actual storyline is immersive and the quests are not filled with kill 100 this and collect 100 this without any storyline progression as if you were stuck in a typical asian arcade that the lead developer seem to love, then people will actually enjoy going through it.

There is 0 need to overcomplicate things but 100 need to make it look and seem more interesting.

11 hours ago, Mana said:

Nobody wants to look for clues or spend a lot of time on a questline. As long as the actual storyline is immersive and the quests are not filled with kill 100 this and collect 100 this without any storyline progression as if you were stuck in a typical asian arcade that the lead developer seem to love, then people will actually enjoy going through it.

There is 0 need to overcomplicate things but 100 need to make it look and seem more interesting.

I'm not exactly sure how else the quests could feel "immersive" if not forcing the player to use their head to come up with solutions on how to solve the problem. All the quests we have now have been the same, "collect x from mobs", "move from point a to b" etc. All of this leads to very little traffic in danger zones and less confrontations since the target of these quests are very easily found.

Overall your message carries an aura that's both afraid of challenge and also trying to take a shot at the devs. If you have other ideas on how to make quests more interesting I am very happy to hear them 😄

23 minutes ago, Atrane said:

I'm not exactly sure how else the quests could feel "immersive" if not forcing the player to use their head to come up with solutions on how to solve the problem. All the quests we have now have been the same, "collect x from mobs", "move from point a to b" etc. All of this leads to very little traffic in danger zones and less confrontations since the target of these quests are very easily found.

Overall your message carries an aura that's both afraid of challenge and also trying to take a shot at the devs. If you have other ideas on how to make quests more interesting I am very happy to hear them 😄

You were looking for some complex answer in my comment but the answer was already there and it was quite simple. If you get a feeling that you are following a storyline, then that is all you need for a immersive gameplay.

2 hours ago, Enver said:

Who cares about the missions when 90% of the community is lv60 already, go make pvp posts.

1) copium level cap will increase 1 day copium

2) character progression beyond just straight up leveling can be achieved from quest lines. Like how right now bosses drop weapons after an insane grind with insane probability. The reward for these quests could be something like access to crafting tables, access to shops, access to maps, etc, rather than being about the exp. Like you said, once we reach cap we don't really care about exp.

3) The essence behind this post is to generate more reasons to travel within the world and cause more reasons for players to cross paths and have confrontations. (PVP 😄)

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 9:54 PM, Atrane said:

I think a good idea for future quest lines is that they should not spoon feed the player with so much information and be more of a mystery on how to complete. For example a lot of quests are just simple grinds for an exp payout like farming 100 penguin beaks in order to complete.

Imagine a quest line that is added and the only information we have is a patch note saying it has been added to the game. We don't even know the starting point and finding it is part of the fun. Examples of this could be a new npc to search for in the world, or a drop from a mob that needs to be returned to its owner. Each step of the quest line should introduce a new mystery to be solved, and difficulty can vary based on what the end reward is.

This can also facilitate roleplay, since most groups who find the information would most likely want to keep it safe from their rivals. Information itself can become a currency that's to be used within the world.

Pretty much, a problem I have heard from Ueda is that content cannot be created fast enough because players power through it so quickly. Quest lines with this approach take a more time to solve than an npc stationed in the mission room who teleports you to a map with linear progression. Also, these types of quest lines would facilitate more movement throughout the game world and help to create more activity in the danger zones. Players would have to spend more time exploring and testing new theories.

Some examples:

• Certain mob drops a letter or document, player can open the document to reveal a message that gives a hint towards who the author or recipient is, talking to that npc while holding the document triggers new dialogue and sets you out on a journey.
  • An npc mentions something about needing a sword to defend themselves, but without mentioning how that sword is obtained. It could be dropped from something, it could be crafted from collecting materials, etc. The point is that its a mystery rather than telling the player directly what they need.

These examples are meant to illustrate the idea that I am trying to present, I hope that future development takes it into consideration to help breathe some life back into the game. Thanks for reading.

I get the original post and I feel like it feeds into part of the playerbase's general... lack of roleplay. People in Nin Online will often trade immersion to their character for PvP kunai-measuring contests and that's honestly inherent of a system that perpetuates PvP far more than it promotes RP. As Nin Online touts being an RPG with an immersive roleplay element more often than not, you'd expect these sorts of quests to already exist. And.. honestly? Some of what you're saying does already exist, and we'd benefit from it existing more.

I can only speak as a new player here, but I've found, for example, the interactible poster in Takumi to be a very immersive way of introducing a mission. The challenge there lies in asking the player even passively 'will you follow up on the curiosity of finding out who the champion is, and taking their place?' It's something small, but it goes a long way. Just like how putting no visible quest markers on quest NPCs (e.g. the gaudy exclamation mark type of thing) helps the player feel moreso like a whimsical explorer of the world they've been put in. As a parenthesis here, maybe we'd also benefit from Summoning Toad and all of the Arc NPCs being named to show their importance. Sorry, that was a tiny tangent.

I'm currently also working on ways to suggest the promotion of roleplay as I have been since day 1 of joining the game, but I really find your suggestion for immersive quests enticing. There's something amazing, if implemented correctly, about the reward a player feels when they figure out that 'hey, this item starts a quest!' or 'look, why is this key way out in the forest?'. I trust the game devs to come up with creative ways of implementing immersion, since as I've mentioned they already have managed to do so in other fields. An RPG is as much a roleplaying experience as it is a game of progressive and felt growth for the player and their avatar in the world.

• Like 2