Mission Overhaul

Daizo

Why it needs to happen

With steam release around the corner and a popular Youtuber already pointing to the outdated mission system being too overbearing and uninteresting, I believe it's time we finally fixed it. While many of us have sat through hundreds of daily missions, throwing some away, it is one of the worst aspects of the game. The rewards can be great, often times not. They can be the difference of leveling up in a day or leveling up in 3 days. There are also a lot of oversights in the current mission pool that we need to discuss, so let's start there.

Simple changes

Some of the changes that need to be made are relatively simple. Whether it's an increase in exp for difficulty or decrease in requirements and exp to make the mission process a little easier. Let's begin with Danger Dangos.

Spoiler

This is not a D-rank mission. The difficulty is on par with a B-rank mission, requiring most users to travel to a rogue village without dying, buying an item that drops on death, and return to the village without dying. This mission is harder in some cases than Eastward Shipment (22,240 exp) and Messenger Ninja (4,250.) It takes double the amount of time as you can't taxi so the fact that the mission is D-rank is misleading. Since it's a drop on death item it's rarely ever sold. Getting this mission around level 18 is insulting as it's one of the worst D-rank missions you could get in that pool. Missions like Time Off give more exp (3,500 vs 3,200) and require little effort. I believe the easiest solution is to bump this up in rank to at least C-rank and double the exp. Another solution is to repurpose this mission as a B-rank mission with a reward of 10,000 EXP and replace the Danger Dangos mission with a sake mission that takes you to Tanzaku.

tl;dr: Double the EXP of Danger Dango and make it a C-rank mission OR repurpose Danger Dango as a B-rank mission with 10k exp reward and create a new D-rank mission to obtain Sake from Tanzaku.

Lost Puppy/Lost Cat

Being someone who doesn't do mission until level 16 I haven't gotten this mission in the past year that I've been playing. A very simple fix for this is to increase the level pool for this mission. It gives more EXP than Danger Dango and is a lot more interesting in my opinion. It could be chance that I never see this mission anymore, but it was always more bearable than Danger Dango since you had to travel less time and you could die during it.

Mob Kill Missions

Spoiler

Mob kill missions are often said that the most EXP you'll get out of the mission is from the mobs themselves. This makes the mission completely useless and a waste of time. Defeat Spiders gives you 260 exp for killing 90 Spiderlings. You get the same amount of exp from killing 8 spiders. You get the same amount of Ryo from selling 28 eggs. The mission is a waste of time.  Wolf Hunting gives you 2020 exp and 90 Ryo for 80 wolves/coyotes. You get that amount of EXP from 31 wolves and you only need to sell 20 Canine Fangs. Let's go further and look at Endangered Tigers. Kill 90 tigers for 3100 exp, which you receive that much from killing 32 Tigers. Ryo is 100 which you can get from selling 34 Tiger fur. Now why are these awful? 

1. Amount of proportionate EXP isn't calculated properly. If this were the case you would get  1,100 exp for Defeat Spider/Scorpion/Dragonfly.
  2. Amount of EXP is still too low anyways. If I were training at Wolves for example, I would simply kill another 31 wolves and save that for Time Off I or Academy Scrolls which gives 5,000+ exp for less effort in most cases.
  3. Amount of money is small. For killing 90 tigers I would use over 100 shurken/senbon at level 15 to complete the mission. The amount of Ryo invested for the small amount of 3,100 exp isn't even half of what I spent to complete the mission.

So what is the solution? There's several; Increase the amount of exp for the mission. OR Increase the amount of money for the mission. OR reduce the number of kills required for the mission while keeping the exp the same. OR include blood pills I in the mission reward. Since these are the beginner missions, most new players are going to die on them. Rewarding them for the blood pills they might have used to complete the mission or rewarding them properly is what we should be doing. The fact that you get 8 spiders worth of exp for a mission that requires you to kill 90 of them is just criminal at that point.

Player Kill Missions

This is a weird one as there are people who hunt, people who buy kills/bounty and people who use alts. However there are some exp discrepancies that need to be addressed. Waging War II per the wiki gives 87k exp for 5 kills. Cold-Blooded Killer III gives 87k exp for 8 kills. This is a problem for several reasons but they are all pretty obvious. I would also like to add that Bounty Hunting is hit or miss entirely based on who you come across. For Bounty Hunting II you need to collect 30 Ryo. This can be the difference of killing 1 person or killing 8, entirely depending on their bounty. Simple solution would to be increasing Cold-Blooded Killer exp. It's hard to gauge if Waging War or Bounty Hunting's exp should be increased due to bought kills/alts.

New Missions

We have a lot of new systems since these missions were introduced so it's about time we utilized them.

Medicine Delivery I - D-rank

Spoiler

XXX is sick and needs some medicine. Please go to the hospital to pick up the medicine and deliver it to them.

Reward: 400 EXP, 50 Ryo

Medicine Delivery II - C-rank

Spoiler

XXX at Asoki Port Village has fallen ill. Please retrieve the medicine from the hospital and deliver it to them.

Reward: 8,000 EXP, 200 Ryo

Crafted Concern I - C-rank

Spoiler

The hospital is running low on Antidote/Bandage/Honey to cure poison/bleeding/burns. Please craft enough antidote/bandages/honey for 5 patients (20). this is a village mission so if you are in Sand you will create antidotes, honey in leaf, and so on.

Reward: 5,000 EXP, 150 Ryo

Crafted Concern II - B-rank

Spoiler

The hospital is running low on Antidote to cure poison. You will need to infiltrate the village hidden in the sand in order to collect the materials needed. Bring back 40 dry herbs to the hospital.

---

The hospital is running low on bandages to cure bleeding. You will need to infiltrate the village hidden in the mist in order to collect the materials needed. Bring back 40 cottons to the hospital.

---

The hospital is running low on honey to cure burns. You will need to infiltrate tanzaku in order to collect the materials needed. Bring back 40 honey to the hospital.

Reward: 98,000 EXP, 200 Ryo

• Like 9