Saku's Beginner Guide for Role-playing (RP)

Saku

Hey everyone, Saku here.
Since this game encourages Role-playing, and it being a rather big part of the game, I decided to make a Guide for everyone who struggles to do it.
The first thing before the actual Guide starts I will clear something up. 

RP stands for Role-play!

Many people get confused when they ask "What are you doing?" and you answer with "RP". So yeah, now you know. So if someone says he is doing RP, you know what it means.
So now, on to the actual Guide.

The Basics

Role-playing means that you change your behavior and play your "Role" in certain situations. The things you do or say are based and your backstory and/or on the "Role" you took.
There are a few things you should keep in mind if you want to start with RP.

Using the Chat
The Chat is probably the most important part since it allows you to communicate and use Emotes. By using the right Emotes and things to say in certain Situations, you can make every Conversation exciting and engaging.

Your Role
Depending on the given scenario, you need to realize what your part, or Role, in the story is. Keep in mind that not everyone can be the protagonist, and sometimes you maybe just play a side character, but even so, you are an important part of the story that is about to be written.

Focus!
RP requires your attention. You can't play Hearthstone on the side or something like that because you won't be able to keep up with the Story. Also, don't get distracted by other people who are not involved. They will probably ask a lot of question, but don't break your role for it. If you really need to answer them use brackets ( more on that on the Tips Section )

You are Part of something bigger
Unless you Role-play with a tree, other people will be influencing the Story. Don't get down when one of your ideas gets drown in the conversation, but also, don't ignore others. The best Stories are made by many players together, so try to adapt. Talk about someone in the group, give your opinion about his Idea, or use an emote to agree/disagree.

Tips

There are many tips and tricks you can use to improve your RP. In this section I will list all kinds of advice too, so you can get started right away.

Don't break Character!
As I mentioned before, focus is key. So if you really need to break Character use Brackets (  )
Bad Example 
Player 1 : Something is not right here...
Player 2 : yo, 1 mom need to pee
Player 1 : ...

Good Example
Player 1 : Something is not right here...
Player 2 : ( I'll be right back, because ... )
Player 1 : Alright )

You will ruin the Experience for others, so please use Brackets (  ) Please

Care what you Type
Keep in mind what you write, since it's important. At least try to have decent grammar. Of course, no one expects perfect sentences from you either, so here's another example.
Bad Example 
Player 1 : I think someone is following us...
Player 2 : i thnk his beyond tha tree
Good Example
Player 1 : I think someone is following us...
Player 2 : Maybe he is behind one of these Trees...

You maybe think I am exaggerating, but it already saw stuff like that. Just try to your best, no one will judge simple mistakes.

Using Emotes
Being able to use the emotes makes your RP more believable. The most important thing you need is without a doubt /e 
/e is used if you want to imply that your character is doing something. With this emote you can give the story more Detail and make it more believable.
So if you type in the Chat /e is daydreaming it will look like this
Emote.png
It is a very easy way to give your Character personality and a tool to make a good story. Use it appropriately and everybody will have a Great Time.
There are many other things you can use, a list of them is available In-Game, just type /emotes

Well, this is the end. I hope this guide can help someone. It's the first time I made something like this, so please tell me what you think. I want to Improve.

• Like 17

Very nice guide! Just wanted to mention that brackets () are used to imply OOC (out of character) stuff. It is quite common to use (/e starts daydreaming) to imply that you are going afk instead of saying (brb) as it is better for RP situations. When you are back you can use (/e stops daydreaming).

• Like 5

I like that Guide its a good Basic thing to get into the whole RP-thing, for those who never really had an eye on it. ' -'

But yeah, just to mention : The words you choose are Important too. - You should make sure the things you mention in your conversation are actually a thing.

It would be bad if you suddenly come up with Topics that are far away from your RP. - It would suddenly ruin the whole situation.

Not exactly sure if that was mentioned above <w< might have missed it.

• Like 4

Also, idk if you know @Saku it is a lot easier to just type "/e [insert action here]" than to put the "/e" in the left box as you won't continuously be talking in "/e" the only commands I ever put in the left box is "/t" when I am just wanting to talk to my team or a players name when I wish to whisper them for a long time.

More tips on RP is that you should never carry out your hatred for someone IC (In character) into OOC (Out of character.) it's all fun and well having rivals and enemies within your RP but don't let someones actions against you within an RP define how you see them OOC. :P

• Seth pinned and featured this topic
  • Seth changed the title to Saku's Beginner Guide for Role-playing (RP)
17 hours ago, Leebz said:

Also, idk if you know @Saku it is a lot easier to just type "/e [insert action here]" than to put the "/e" in the left box as you won't continuously be talking in "/e" the only commands I ever put in the left box is "/t" when I am just wanting to talk to my team or a players name when I wish to whisper them for a long time.

More tips on RP is that you should never carry out your hatred for someone IC (In character) into OOC (Out of character.) it's all fun and well having rivals and enemies within your RP but don't let someones actions against you within an RP define how you see them OOC. :P

Well it depends on the RP Person no? o:

As far i know theres people who RP completly with "emotes" as in /e 'Stretches and mumbles "(insert message here) quietly." or something like that. <- in my opinion the most fun way to rp. xP

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Konahri said:

Well it depends on the RP Person no? o:

As far i know theres people who RP completly with "emotes" as in /e 'Stretches and mumbles "(insert message here) quietly." or something like that. <- in my opinion the most fun way to rp. xP

That's a very rare circumstance xD

Not many RP that way but you are right, it is possible. :)

I was just letting others know in case they didn't know they could just type "/e" as this is a beginner guide so I doubt we'd get in-depth RPers who RP as a mutterer but I do see where you are coming from. :3

I think that they should make like IC chat, the normal one, and other chat for out of character, and that people should always stick IN CHARACTER, like playing their role, it doesn't need to be like a part of the story. You must stay IC and if someone walks up to you and asks you what are you doing... you say training, not LVLing up bro. If you wanna talk about something related out of characterly, you use brackets, but it would be cool if they made like second chat, like command for OOC chat, /b like in SAMP for local OOC chat. I relate this RP a lot with San andreas multiplayer, like there, they kick people that mix OOC informations ICly. It would be a lot of fun if you guys made it like this.

2 hours ago, KuXi said:

I think that they should make like IC chat, the normal one, and other chat for out of character, and that people should always stick IN CHARACTER, like playing their role, it doesn't need to be like a part of the story. You must stay IC and if someone walks up to you and asks you what are you doing... you say training, not LVLing up bro. If you wanna talk about something related out of characterly, you use brackets, but it would be cool if they made like second chat, like command for OOC chat, /b like in SAMP for local OOC chat. I relate this RP a lot with San andreas multiplayer, like there, they kick people that mix OOC informations ICly. It would be a lot of fun if you guys made it like this.

But you need to think of the Players who are not really into RP. Also, those are too many Chats for a simple Mind like me >.>

4 hours ago, Saku said:

But you need to think of the Players who are not really into RP. Also, those are too many Chats for a simple Mind like me >.>

I know but there is no point in just running and killing and leveling... It would be much better if it was RP based only.

Like Saku said, not everyone in this Community is into RP or feels comfortable RPing, i'm fine having RP-Events at times, since its optional to join it or not. 

Maybe in the late future, like. Super late development stage, we might be able to request a RP Server, but for the current point of Development i think.. it wouldn't bring the effect you might want to see. ' -';

• 1 month later...

HAHAHAHAHAH Saku i think that we all know how to rp

and can you tell me who in this world don't know how to be an actor in a game xD

We are not all idiots haahahaha

I don't believe that a guide to rp exist haahahah, i still confused. What gave you that idea :O I WANT TO KNOW !

8 hours ago, Dona said:

HAHAHAHAHAH Saku i think that we all know how to rp

and can you tell me who in this world don't know how to be an actor in a game xD

We are not all idiots haahahaha

I don't believe that a guide to rp exist haahahah, i still confused. What gave you that idea :O I WANT TO KNOW !

Well, I wanted to make a Guide to help People who never did RP before and Help People that can't do it Properly.
If you spend quite a bit of Time in the Game, and care about others obviously, you will meet many New Players who all say that they never did RP before.
And for your Question
"and can you tell me who in this world don't know how to be an actor in a game"
Many People believe that they know how to do it, but in Reality they are extremely bad. So that's why I made this Guide. 

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...