Inspiration & Philosophy

Ueda

v52VMFA.png

Hey Ninja,

This is going to be something different! Mostly because we've reached a point in development where I'm pretty happy with the amount of content in combat, besides the bugs we'd like sorted out as soon as we can, I'd like to take some time to talk about my plans for the game from here.

This is going to be my first development log which has no pictures!

Inspiration

Nin Online has always drawn inspiration from the Naruto series, that's no secret here. I've recently spent some time catching up with the series and it reminded me what I always wanted for the game. Although it's true that the largest theme of the series is ninja combat, what really drew me in was the world and the personal stories of each ninja. What I want for Nin Online is to have accomplished building a complete world where you can life a full ninja life, not just a ninja fighting online game.

Reflection

When I designed the current set of missions it became painfully clear that right now, besides fighting other ninjas, there was absolutely nothing to do. The ninja world started and ended with the path to the enemy villages, there was nothing else to do or see. Everywhere you went was filled with enemies and mobs. It's not enough!

Direction

While I'm sure a lot will be disappointed by my next few statements, I think that in the long run, it's what the game really needs next is not Advanced Jutsus (like Wood Chakra Natures and Kekkai Genkais), but a more fully built world experience, and more dabbling into feature that promote a life outside of just combat.

Some villages are meant to be gritty and dark, and focused on war. I feel that there should be an reflection of this in the kind of missions you take, and the kind of RP that goes on.

For the next few weeks or longer, I'll be creating content that is strictly non-combat related. I'll be improving the villages by giving life to the Sand village, improving on the current look of both villages and expanding the world in all directions, not just towards each village. I'm also thinking of features like Marriage, Mentorship & Teams actually counting as something for community aspect.
Rewarding day off activities like Fishing spots, a gambling village & beautiful places to visit that aren't just for killing mobs.

Don't get me wrong though, combat and PvP will always be the biggest part of Nin Online as well, but I think we've been focusing on that for just long enough to have time to spend building a life experience in the game.

I'll also be creating systems for which player Kages & council members can control their villages and run it, and be automating large portions of the Chunin exams. Although it's been fun running them manually with admin commands, it's not good on my health. It's about time that village management takes a focus in development!

If you have ideas, please do write about it in the suggestions section. I may not reply to all of them, but I look at them when it comes to times where I'm looking for inspiration.

If you want to throw a fit of rage, comments!

• Like 22

That sounds really awesome. I do agree with you that the world feels very empty right now. I really like the approach you guys are taking though into bringing it to life like never before and creating more RP opportunities.

Because there are a lot of players in this game who really enjoy RP,  maybe even more than the combat in the game. So I do feel like this will be great for everyone.

GOOD JOB! ;)

• Like 1

I was actually thinking yesterday about how I want to do more in the world than just a few missions and PvP. I'm glad you're now looking more into expanding the ninja world and ninja life. I'm looking forward to what's to come and if I think of anything beneficial I'll surely post a suggestion. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord King said:

I wouldn't mind helping (art-wise).

One thing you could make useful now are the springs, which could be used to decrease Battle Wounds (for a price) and those food vendors wares actually giving some sort of boost. 

@Rory

That's the thing I want to stay away from, I don't want them to contribute to PvP/PvE. That defeats the purpose of doing something else and they just end up becoming part of the PvP meta game.

• Like 1

The Spa or the Food boosts? I understand the boosts but it'll give money more use with the Spa's at least. I just don't fully understand the problem with meta-PVP but I respect the decision to not involve it. 

@Rory

Also, if you need any artwork done I wouldn't mind helping. Minor things to bring life to the game. 

7 minutes ago, Lord King said:

The Spa or the Food boosts? I understand the boosts but it'll give money more use with the Spa's at least. I just don't fully understand the problem with meta-PVP but I respect the decision to not involve it. 

@Rory

Also, if you need any artwork done I wouldn't mind helping. Minor things to bring life to the game. 

Both! Battle Injuries is meant to keep your out of combat, for you to do other things!

Where can I see your art?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Both! Battle Injuries is meant to keep your out of combat, for you to do other things!

Where can I see your art?

I posted some on the forums. I have some more tucked away if need be. I'm at work now so if you need me to link you I will when I get home, and install new parts into my PC. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Rory Would you want assistance designing missions? I could get behind that! If that was something you've considered needing help with, I wouldn't mind presenting ideas to you in a structured format such as:

• Questline
  • Quest path
  • Prerequisites 
  • Interactions
  • NPC Dialog and Replies
  • Objectives
  • Rewards
  • Dev resources needed (new NPC, new item, new vendor, etc.)

It would be neat to have quests related to certain masteries for advancements, or general RP qualites. For instance since I am water aspect, I would need to cast 100 Water Slashes while in a body of water to advance my training. (easily done and not much creative thought behind that).

Anywho, let me know and I'd start trying.

Love your game!

• Like 2