It's finally my 10?

Ueda

I remember years ago when you first started this project. I always had a feeling you'd pick it back up, everything is looking good and I can't wait to play! :-)

Glad to see you back :) what was your username back then? I'm glad you had confidence in me. The saddest email I had to send out was the cancellation of the project. But at the end I promised I would bring it back one day. Nin Online is the game I've always wanted to make, and always will.
  • Like 1

I believe Chickenlegs at the time. It's been awhile and I've been through so many aliases it's ridiculous. I wasn't anyone important though, lol. I know when I hadn't yet officially joined the forums, I was frequently browsing it as a guest. The last post I read from you was something about this being a creative outlet for you and how you were doing on some test... back when the forum was purple... I followed it long before that aswell, lol.

• Like 1

ye i noticed...i call hackz !!!

That reminds me by the way, will you be implementing some sort of an anti cheat system ?

Yeah, it's called having a game engine programmed by someone who isn't an idiot.

Big titles like Maple Story can be easily broken because their developers were on a budget with a deadline. They have limited time and money to do a job some of them won't even have the training to do.

I developed the client to be a dumb terminal. You send commands to the server and the server verifies everything and handles all data manipulation before sending off updated information to everyone else. The "anti-cheat" system you refer to is only required in games which use things like lag compensation and loosely linked server/client relationships. VAC is a good example.

It'll be as solid as titles like Runescape. You can use a memory editor to modify stuff in the client, but it's just a remote view for a centralised, inaccessible controller. Having your health set to 10,000 on the client means nothing if the server knows you only have 150.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's called having a game engine programmed by someone who isn't an idiot.

Big titles like Maple Story can be easily broken because their developers were on a budget with a deadline. They have limited time and money to do a job some of them won't even have the training to do.

I developed the client to be a dumb terminal. You send commands to the server and the server verifies everything and handles all data manipulation before sending off updated information to everyone else. The "anti-cheat" system you refer to is only required in games which use things like lag compensation and loosely linked server/client relationships. VAC is a good example.

It'll be as solid as titles like Runescape. You can use a memory editor to modify stuff in the client, but it's just a remote view for a centralised, inaccessible controller. Having your health set to 10,000 on the client means nothing if the server knows you only have 150.

I am really glad to hear that. Thank you for the response ! 

But i'v been in so many mmo's and i'v seen people pull so many tricks on client side, that it made me paranoid. While as you stated, they couldn't make their health go up to 10.000 instead of 150, they used a tricks that threw that out of the window.

Such as simply making themselves invisible. Like in Age of Wushu. We had these pesky kidnapping bots running around everywhere invisible. They appeared from time to time. But they ran so fast, and had invisibility, that we couldn't lock them in any way. They had almost 200HP only ( lowest for newbies) But they managed to achieve their goals through pure "out of the box" thinking. And i trust you know that there are alot of out of the box thinkers out there who are willing to ruin such an great project.

I am really looking forward for this game. And like everyone here ( i hope ) i don't want it to be infested by such bots/ cheats. Ever ! I will even invest money in it. Provided that its secured and has a minimal amount of "holes" that Cheaters/Hackers can penetrate. I trust you guys, and i trust our community. But one can never be 100% certain.

I am really glad to hear that. Thank you for the response ! 

But i'v been in so many mmo's and i'v seen people pull so many tricks on client side, that it made me paranoid. While as you stated, they couldn't make their health go up to 10.000 instead of 150, they used a tricks that threw that out of the window.

Such as simply making themselves invisible. Like in Age of Wushu. We had these pesky kidnapping bots running around everywhere invisible. They appeared from time to time. But they ran so fast, and had invisibility, that we couldn't lock them in any way. They had almost 200HP only ( lowest for newbies) But they managed to achieve their goals through pure "out of the box" thinking. And i trust you know that there are alot of out of the box thinkers out there who are willing to ruin such an great project.

I am really looking forward for this game. And like everyone here ( i hope ) i don't want it to be infested by such bots/ cheats. Ever ! I will even invest money in it. Provided that its secured and has a minimal amount of "holes" that Cheaters/Hackers can penetrate. I trust you guys, and i trust our community. But one can never be 100% certain.

There will always be problems, but they aren't really 'cheats/hacks'.

Bots will happen. People will write programs to play the game for them. They'll hack the graphics engine so they can see behind trees. They'll spoof packets to try and break our networking.

In the simplest terms, the engine should be able to cope with things like this. It's up to the programmers to write the systems properly and keep all the sensitive stuff server-side, out of reach of the naughty people. I'm not sure how things have changed since I retired, but the game engine I released was pretty damn solid when it came to this, and we've had 100s of successful games released on the platform.

When it comes to things like people removing the tree graphics, it's generally up to the content developers to balance gameplay so these things don't give a huge advantage.

Being invisible probably isn't going to be a problem without breaking an ingame event or something, in which case all we can really promise is a very community-driven development where we'll actively stamp out system abuse as and when we find it.

There will always be cheaters who would try to find a way to get their benefit. Some Rory himself can't even help, as Robin said all he needs to do is not make it a huge advantage to see through trees and such. As for the HP why not some "cheap programming". Basically meaning how about if the max hp for everyone is 50 and every damage are 21 or 15 or 10 or idk how damage for jutsu will be done, instead make it a percent of health? I'm not sure how that would work through since I have no knowledge of any other programming then DM. 

There will always be cheaters who would try to find a way to get their benefit. Some Rory himself can't even help, as Robin said all he needs to do is not make it a huge advantage to see through trees and such. As for the HP why not some "cheap programming". Basically meaning how about if the max hp for everyone is 50 and every damage are 21 or 15 or 10 or idk how damage for jutsu will be done, instead make it a percent of health? I'm not sure how that would work through since I have no knowledge of any other programming then DM. 

I don't think you read my post properly. Values like HP are completely secure on the server. You cannot change them at all.

Please don't offer suggestions if you're not sure how the code works.

• Like 1

afaik packet spooking is really difficult unless they know how the game actually works. It would be better to make a bot. 

The networking system has been open-source for close to 5 years now. You see packet spoofing on fully obfuscated code as far back as the original Runescape.

I think you'll be surprised just how clever people can get with reverse engineering.

Of course, if people clever enough to do this kind of thing actually care about a title like Nin is something else entirely. :p

• Like 3