Nefarious

Include "Chance to crit" in jutsu

31 posts in this topic

As the title says, having a crit chance for all jutsu adds a fun mechanic to combat. For example, some masteries might be really good at crit chances while others are not.

I know agility increases chance to crit with melee attacks, but perhaps individual jutsu would have a % chance as well. 

For some reason, at this moment, only projectile jutsu can Crit.

This is a point that I would be willing to bend on if a large number of players want it.
I like randoms in games, and it adds an element of surprise for me.

I've also considered a crit system where it only crits if you're lower level than the other ninja. To close the gap between different level encounters.
It also would keep things fair for the max level ninja, and most arena fights. It would be a way of forcing higher level ninja to "not underestimate" lower level ninja.

But its just an idea and my original design for Nin Online included as little RNG in terms of combat so as to focus more on skill, but in recent years I've become increasingly convinced that some element of RNG would be fun.

7 people like this

Hmm I am bad with luck , which leads me to being bad with RNG aswell but it still sounds kinda cool to me 

1 person likes this

As a pvper, I must say that I wouldn't like to have such factors influencing the outcome of a fight, especially if I have no control over them.

Predict a critical hit is needed. Being lucky in a fight shouldn't be a thing

6 people like this

I agree with sparkZZ,RNG should be kept to a minimum in a pvp heavy mmo.Its bad enough already that you can miss with basic attacks or get deflected....

4 people like this

RNG in Legion on World of Warcraft was pretty fun at the end of the expansion. You basically could get BIS (best in slot) items that were legendary items via a RNG system. Although, most of the casuals hated it. I liked it, because it rewarded me for grinding raids and killing bosses.

9 hours ago, Seth said:

RNG in Legion on World of Warcraft was pretty fun at the end of the expansion. You basically could get BIS (best in slot) items that were legendary items via a RNG system. Although, most of the casuals hated it. I liked it, because it rewarded me for grinding raids and killing bosses.

We're talking about RNG in pvp combat though :P 

3 people like this

Fun fact~!

All INT WM jutsu already crit because they are listed as tool projectile like normal shuriken/senbon/kunai that do crit as well. (Something I have asked to change with traps, because once you reach max limit of tool projectile for example. You set 25 amount of tool projectile (explosive tag, bear trap) on the ground and after you do you cannot use other projectile jutsu like shadow shuriken etc.* Tags and Tool Projectile should be separated)

Back to RNG. I come from Runescape, which is like RNG at its fullest and it was always fun to try out new and discover new tactics and builds to PvP in the wilderness. But I feel like NiN Online community would not appreciate the RNG fact to their PvP system (Even though we already have it) at first. But eventually get used to it because its not like your opponent will always crit you, no you will crit as well and when you do, it will always be fun and sort of element of surprise.

Imagine a situation where you are about to die, enemy has 200 more hp left and that lucky crit saves you. But with that in mind, I feel like crits should be extremely rare based on NiN Online stats, fortitude is not that high, players can already burn through it with amount of offensive jutsu everyone has at 50.

So if we take that in consideration, crits could become a bit of a too large change to make but the idea to allow lower level players to have crit % against higher levels, is amazing and would help out balance and maybe make the game feel more fun towards PvP without having to get 50 first.

5 people like this

When the damage scaling was nerfed high damage builds became a really bad option to go for in most cases. I think that a good way to make high damage builds worth it again would be to enable all jutsu to critically strike. The critical strike chance of each jutsu would take into account the main damage stat that the jutsu uses. So for example if a Water/Tai user with a 100 INT and 50 Agility uses Water Prison and Seismic Dash, Water Prison has 20% chance to critically strike and Seismic Dash has 10% chance to critically strike. This would mean critical strike chance was equal to 20% of the jutsu damage stat, with the final level cap supposedly being level 100, someone would have to put all 100 levels worth of stat points into their jutsu damage stat to get exactly 100% critical chance so I think the numbers I suggested are fair.

I think this would be a good way to seperate assassin and tank builds. Low damage gets you higher health but low crit chance while high damage means lower health but higher critical chance allowing for a high risk high reward type of play.

5 people like this

RNG is fun for spectators, not players. There is nothing fun about losing to something you have absolutely no control over and having to wait for 10 minutes so you can play the game again. As long as world PVP isn't opt-out, RNG should be kept to an absolute minimum. I would go a step further and remove critical hits from tai melee and projectiles.

3 people like this

Also to put this post into perspective Itachi here is playing a build specifically for assassinations and can do a 600dmg inescapable combo off of chidori. He wants crits to create more potential for burst. I think this is hilarious but also may not be fun for the person being attacked. 

55 minutes ago, Mikecw said:

RNG is fun for spectators, not players. There is nothing fun about losing to something you have absolutely no control over and having to wait for 10 minutes so you can play the game again. As long as world PVP isn't opt-out, RNG should be kept to an absolute minimum. I would go a step further and remove critical hits from tai melee and projectiles.

Crits should indeed be removed

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Jiroubou said:

Also to put this post into perspective Itachi here is playing a build specifically for assassinations and can do a 600dmg inescapable combo off of chidori. He wants crits to create more potential for burst. I think this is hilarious but also may not be fun for the person being attacked. 

I'm not that petty. It's something I've been considering suggesting for a while. I've also tried every single build there is to try in the game including balanced and tanks and rarely stick with the same build for more than a month or so.

8 hours ago, Cocaine said:

When the damage scaling was nerfed high damage builds became a really bad option to go for in most cases. I think that a good way to make high damage builds worth it again would be to enable all jutsu to critically strike. The critical strike chance of each jutsu would take into account the main damage stat that the jutsu uses. So for example if a Water/Tai user with a 100 INT and 50 Agility uses Water Prison and Seismic Dash, Water Prison has 20% chance to critically strike and Seismic Dash has 10% chance to critically strike. This would mean critical strike chance was equal to 20% of the jutsu damage stat, with the final level cap supposedly being level 100, someone would have to put all 100 levels worth of stat points into their jutsu damage stat to get exactly 100% critical chance so I think the numbers I suggested are fair.

I think this would be a good way to seperate assassin and tank builds. Low damage gets you higher health but low crit chance while high damage means lower health but higher critical chance allowing for a high risk high reward type of play.

I like this idea, but only when the level cap increases. Currently, as Jiroubo pointed out, I can deal around 600 damage with a chidori combo with my current int (115). I used to be able to do almost 750-800 when I had even more int. Once the level cap increases, people are going to have a lot more HP, and DPS builds are going to quickly become irrelevant. I can either have 30 extra damage with the full 100 points into int, or I can have 2,000 more HP. 

2 hours ago, Mikecw said:

RNG is fun for spectators, not players. There is nothing fun about losing to something you have absolutely no control over

I disagree. In other games I play with crit mechanics, there is usually a separate stat that is used to single out crit chance. So by upgrading crit chances, you're lowering your raw damage stat, health, or chakra. You basically make an entire new build based off of getting critical hits and multiplying the damage delivered by those critical hits. It's a fun mechanic that a lot of people enjoy building. -Basically rogues in dungeons and dragons or their equivalent. 

2 people like this

Just now, Nefarious said:

I disagree. In other games I play with crit mechanics, there is usually a separate stat that is used to single out crit chance. So by upgrading crit chances, you're lowering your raw damage stat, health, or chakra. You basically make an entire new build based off of getting critical hits and multiplying the damage delivered by those critical hits. It's a fun mechanic that a lot of people enjoy building. -Basically rogues in dungeons and dragons or their equivalent. 

You're only looking at one side of the equation. For every fight you win with RNG, another person loses to RNG they could do nothing about. It's not fun to be on the receiving end of bad luck, heck it's not even fun winning because of good luck, it just makes me feel like I didn't deserve to win. You guys would love RNG up until you lost to RNG.

1 person likes this

A bit of crit chance can be fine, but the most important thing to do is tune for how much a critical hit can do. There is a large difference between a crit doing 1.25x normal damage, and 2x normal damage. Crit's should grant some degree of tension while not completely changing the pace of the fight in one shot.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Mikecw said:

You're only looking at one side of the equation. For every fight you win with RNG, another person loses to RNG they could do nothing about. It's not fun to be on the receiving end of bad luck, heck it's not even fun winning because of good luck, it just makes me feel like I didn't deserve to win. You guys would love RNG up until you lost to RNG.

Most games have RNG involved and many of those mechanics are done quite well. I mean no disrespect, but adding in another factor to combat doesn't change the flow of battle. Keep dodging and subbing hits as per usual, but adding in the chance to deal more damage in an attack doesn't sound like a bad idea if the balance of stat points is done correctly. If I have to sacrifice raw damage/health/chakra to up my crit chance, I still have to be able to land those attacks in the first place as normal. It simply adds in a new mechanic that could work well if it's done correctly.

1 person likes this