• Earth Spikes Jutsu bug

0um

I noticed this happening a few time but was not sure if it was actually happening but got a recording of it happening now. Earth spikes sometimes does not hit now if they are running through it. Idk if this is a known issue but I am going to post the video clip of it so you can see what I am talking about.

Steps to reproduce issue:

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This type of bug did exist since alpha days and to my knowledge applies to all projectile types of damage sources.

So what happens here is the possibility of a hit check to bypass a target because of the way how this game checks if a projectile (or in this case earth spikes) do hit something. If you are familar with RPG-Maker games, then this issue should be quite familar to you.

In Detail:

The whole game of NinOnline is played on a grid. You can imagine this as a coulorfully painted chess board. Any mob and any player are always placed on one specific square tile while standing. You are never able to stop ,,between" two tiles. Now, while you are moving, you visually walk from one tile to the other, but on the technical side you are always bound on either the first or the 2nd square tile that you move between.

Now... a projectile (lets say a shuriken e.g.) that gets shot to the right does do the following: 1. check if the upcoming tile has something to interact with, 2. move to the right, 3. repeat until max range is hit or it collides with something. In other words: only in step 1 it checks if it can collide with something and while the moving from one tile to the other happens, it does not check for collisions at all.

So technically, it is possible to pass through any projectile when moving straight into and through it. Since earth spikes move rather slow, it seems to be more of an issue. I assume that the frames in which a collision is checked for are too short in comparison to the spike-moving-time.

In alpha, a suggested fix was brought forward, that suggests projectiles to check multiple tiles (like the tile behind). It might be also an idea to have a check happen on the player til when walking into stuff, if that is not the case already.

This said... it is a glitch that can never completely be squished if the checks happen only on the projectile side.

I guess if the checks happened two-times, on the player side and also on the projectile side, then it could work. So what i am imagine is: always have at least 2 tiles be danger tiles: The first is the tile where a projectile comes from and the second is the tile where the projectile is moving towards to. So when the projectile moves, it will check those 2 tiles for a collision. Additionally, those 2 tiles should be considered to be hazard tiles, that will damage the player, if the player walks onto them. This would walk with the same logic as an explosive tag that a player steps on. So the 2 hazard tiles will be again the tile where the projectile comes from and also again the tile where the projectile is moving towards to.

TL;DR: Projectiles suck.